D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By vince72310
#348183 i drive a 95 honda civic eg hatchback and im looking at getting some engine parts for my D15b7 as of now i do have automatic transmission which i will convert to 5 speed in a few years but are their any engine parts i can still get? i just ordered my AEM Short Ram Intake anything else? thanks!! :woot: :? :cruisin:
By SloCivic
vince72310 wrote:i drive a 95 honda civic eg hatchback and im looking at getting some engine parts for my D15b7 as of now i do have automatic transmission which i will convert to 5 speed in a few years but are their any engine parts i can still get? i just ordered my AEM Short Ram Intake anything else? thanks!! :woot: :? :cruisin:

I would invest in a bunch of maintenance parts (if you have not already).
spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor, belts, fluid flushes, etc. Once you have everything squared away then you can look into engine "upgrades".

Besides an intake on a d series you could always do a header & a full exhaust :?
By teal_dx
#348186 Great advice above :thumb:

The D15b7 isn't the ideal engine to make more power from, unless you're looking to spend a lot.

There's 3 options...
1. Mini-Me (vtec head, intake manifold, ecu, plug wires, timing belt, maybe distributor depending on the head you choose) Also convenient to do at the same time as a water pump. Cost a few hundred bucks and you be around 130 HP, depending on the compression of the head you use.
You'll also have a fresh timing belt, water pump & plug wires.

2. Nitrous. The best bang for the buck on about any motor.
May not be the best idea on a high mileage motor.

3. Turbo. If you do your research and understand you a turbo system works, you can piece together your own for cheap ($1k) although at that point you aren't far from the cost of a complete B series swap. A home made turbo may not be the best idea on a high mileage motor.

If you're getting a 5 speed and want your car to accelerate quicker, be sure to get a tranny from an EX or Si. They have the shortest gears.
By vince72310
#348189 So basically just some headers, intake manifold, throttle body and exhuast system? I know my D series won't be crazy fast but I just want it up there a little. In a few years I am going to either get a b18 or b20 with a gsr swap :thumb:

Any other mods I missed? Or you can think of
By teal_dx
#348194 I wouldn't bother with the throttle body. And did you mean just intake instead of intake manifold?

A quality exhaust is a good idea, since you'll be able to re-use that when you go b-series. :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#348200 I think you're just throwing money away. If you're going to convert to manual, get a B18B. Why bother with a D series manual trans at all? Why replace the shift linkages twice?

The B18B will feel faster than the D15B7 even with bolt-ons due to its torque. Add up the cost of the D series bolt-ons, D series shift linkage and mounts and you're pretty close to a B18B already.
By Virux
#350701 Convert it to 5 speed now. It is the single best mod for a D15B7.
Ex = 1-4 shorter, Si = 1-5 shorter.

People sure do love their short rams and fart cans,
even if they do nothing but make noise.   :?
By TrailerTrash
#350703 i had two five speed civics with d15b7s in them. and for a short time i had an auto sedan with a d15b7. other than having to shift there wasnt any difference. its not like you are going to be out winning street races and shaming your buddys times at the strip.

im all for swapping an auto to manual. it would be a good learning experience.

but suspendedhatch is right. if you are planning to go B series already then you would be throwing your money away and wasting your time playin around with the D.
By suspendedHatch
#350798 I rocked an auto hatch while doing pizza delivery several decades ago :lol: . I swapped in a Z6 and did the whole I/H/E etc to it. It was a good learning experience, but a stock 5 speed B7 would have been faster and would have gotten better mileage. I just didn't want to deal with having to shift.

Finished college, got a different job, sold the auto.

They're not bad, they just have long gearing. Gear ratio is everything.