D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Hoodrat
#347088 I have a stock d15b7 and was planning on putting on an ebay turbo kit with bigger injectors and fuel pump and maybe a mini me swap. I only want to run about 5lbs on it. Would about 200 hp be possible with that? If so I heard the rod bolts are really weak on those should I replace them with arp rod bolts. (I know the ebay turbos are weak but I don't plan on spending big money yet)
By teal_dx
#347093 200 hp is asking a lot from a stock d15b7 bottom end. Of course the mileage, condition of motor, how hard you're driving it and of course quality of tune will make a difference too.

Before investing a lot of time and $ into a d15b7 build, compare the total cost to a swap making comparable power and being more reliable than a b7 with eBay turbo pArts. But I can tell you the turbo will be more fun. Boost is addictive, you'll be wanting more psi/hp :twisted:
By Hoodrat
#347095 What kind of swap? Like a d16 vtec ? Cause I'm about to have my ac fixed so I didn't want to do something where I would have to take my ac out. Also 183k miles and I don't really rag on it but I'm sure I will if it's boosted (;
By teal_dx
#347102 I'd add everything up. By the time you get the turbo, manifold, down pipe, injectors, bov, piping, boost+ oil gauges, all the misc fittings and oil lines then a chipped ecu, tuning software and then pay a tuner to make it run perfect, then you mentioned getring all the parts for a mini-me, you could very well be in the range for a low mi b swap.

Not saying a boosted d isn't a blast, I have one and love it! But you'll have a high mileage d15b7 bottom end which is something to consider. Just food for thought. :thumb:
By Hoodrat
#347110 Alright much appreciated!