D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By turbopseidon
#346447 I recently acquired a 1992 civic sedan with d15b7. I had a look at the timing belt when I was fixing a leaky valve cover and it's cracked so I'm going to change it. I've read about all the marks and how to line it up with #1 cylinder at tdc with the crank marks NO PROBLEM. The problem I have is that the top marks are off about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the upper cam marks. Now is this because of the timing belt stretching? Or did it skip a tooth at some point. And since it is off the marks should I put the new one on and line up all the marks where they should be. it ran fine before I started all this. Thanks for any help..
By m578elb
#346467 When you gonna put a new timing belt , just put it on factory marks. Maybe who have it before was running advanced timing or it has another camshaft. Belt is gonna stretch a bit but not 1/2 inch.
By MG6
#346472 Since you will be lining up the timing and the cams, make sure you have a timing gun to test it is in the right position.

Good luck
By turbopseidon
#346590 Anyone else have any input? Or run into something like this?
By teal_dx
#346592 Can you post a pic?

One mistake I see people make is trying to get the cam marks parallel with the ground. The d series motor is slightly tilted back so it is not parallel with the ground. The marks should be parallel with the engine, which will look slightly off if you're on a flat ground.
By turbopseidon
#346646 After I lined up all the marks I put the timing belt on, the tensioner is not tight yet and I have yet to rotate the engine 4 times counterclockwise wise.. But everything looks good now?

By lalo
#346649 Don't want to give wrong info but I thought the timing marks for a b7 are suppose to line up with two that are parallel and the bottom one is supposed to be a little off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
By turbopseidon
#346653 You may have been onto something. There is conflicting marks but it looks like the cam marks should be levelled with the head NOT the lower timing mark . But is the lower the same? Where I have looked it looks like its a mark on the timing cover and the crank pulley but how do you line that up if the cover is on? This is confusing.
By turbopseidon
#346654 Well I levelled the cam marks to the head and left the the crank marks lined up on the crank and the block. The car fired up but I only let it run for a about 10 seconds as it has no coolant in it yet...tomorrow I will get my crank pulley and make sure the marks line up on the crank pulley and the timing belt cover hopefully it's all good.