D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By nickelz34
#345853 So ive had my d15b for a little over a year now and have started noticing its smoking . I want to say it seems to get a little bit worse every month or so . My cuz said could be valve guide seals , idk yet havent gotten around to feelin like i can pull head off.

So i did went out and bought a compression test tool and here is results:

Starting from timing belt to the dizzy

1. 181-183
4.184-185

Oh and i have so put a quart of oil in it every 3-5 weeks it seems .

Any input is greatly appreciated !
By Civic Savior
#345855 sounds like it could be piston rings...im not positive though...but as far as I know white smoke = burnt oil...and the low compression in cyl 3 could point towards that..
By m578elb
#345862 It could be the valve seals, how often you hit the redline?,
Last edited by m578elb on Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nickelz34
#345863 I will take a pic of the plugs next
By teal_dx
#345891 need more details...
What color is smoke? Is it smoking at startup, idling, accelerating etc...?

White smoke = Coolant, smells not bad. Blueish tint = Oil, smells like burning oil.
By nickelz34
#345903 Yea ima take her out after work today , its very possible it is burning oil im just glancing in rearview mirror when i see smoke and it looks whiteish . Its very possible there is a blue tint to it and i think i have smelt it before a little . Ill see if i can get a buddy to sit in car and look at it as i hit second gear goin quick, thats when i really see it when i get on it. Not so much when i start it but if im stationary and i give it alot of gass it will do it a little bit but nowere near as much as when its under load .
By nickelz34
#345935 Hmmmmm, would my compression still be good with worn rings ? Either way this engine is due to come out sometime soon its got things needing to be done to fix this and i got a shiney new rack and pinion to put in .
By nickelz34
#345961 Its blue just took it out today
By m578elb
#345965 Which d15b is?, dual carb or the vtec one?, is it smoking only in vtec?, maybe the oil is so old that need replacing, or use a higher grade, how many miles has the engine? .
By nickelz34
#345969 Its the jdm vtec d15b , i do get on it sometime but it says the motor redlines higher then the 6000 or 6300 that it stops at . I think the ecu the guy gave me stops the engine from reving to high bc its for a engine that is non vtec and has a lower rpm limit.

So if i redline it on a ecu with a lower rev limit would that still be bad ?
By teal_dx
#345973 Driving on the wrong ecu is a bad idea, especially if you're driving around at redline. A non-vtec motor probably does not use the same fuel curve maps as a vtec motor. Proper a/f is crucial.
By nickelz34
#345985 I need to look at the ecu number i hink its a p08 ? Idk for sure ill look.
By nickelz34
#345986 Its a non vtec ecu dont think its a p08 i just looked it up an that says its a vtec ecu