D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By civic eg-k
#344483 Like i said i have a d16y8 and im looking for a carb legal header to pass smog. The car isnt mine. A buddies. Any ways he's convinced that brand is the way to go. Now where can i get a header that has the o2 bung on top instead of under the header near the cat? Or do i just need to wire the o2 sensor to the bottom bung ?
By rustyrex
#344497 You buddy is correct. A name brand header is the way to go. A eBay part is not smog legal. As far as sensor placement it depends on the car and motor. Just a heads up, I built mine from scratch using a vibrant exhaust flange and it passed smog nd visual inspection.
By civic eg-k
#344498 As far as i know an Expensive header isnt always better. Maybe just a quality thing. But here in california and in my town if its not stock and no carb number it mean it wont pass smog.. its a 1996 ex it has an o2 sensor on the header and 1 at the. At. He wants 1 that is carb legal and that has both o2 bung holes .
By rustyrex
#344499 Well unfortunetly to have a carb exempt number take some R and D which costs money which makes the header more expensive. A eBay header will never have a carb number let alone any actual R and D behind it. They are just copies of someone else's design. As far as expensive versus cheap you are right. A bisimoto header is like a grand compared to a dc which is less than half of that. They both put out good gains, but is the bisimoto really worth it? Probably not. You need a carb approved header first and then good gains second. Pretty much any name brand header has a carb number. It all comes down to budget. If all the car has is basic bolt ons and has no real tuning the gains will be extremely minimum no matter what header you use. You can even lose power.