D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 95egcoupenj
#343475 I have a 1995 Coupe with a D15B7 and I have now replace my valve cover 3 times and still getting oil in the spark plug wells numbers 1 & 2 more in 1 and i have used ultrablack and still get the same result any suggestions???????
By TrailerTrash
#343480 they can be a real bitch to do correctly. the slightest little mistake and they will leak
By brandoff88
#343492 indeed, I had to chisel mine out carefully with a mallet and screwdriver with cloth on end...putting em in was a lot easier..but still a pain
By 95egcoupenj
#343514 i have replaced the doughnut gaskets, i just dont see how if even my master tech assisted me it still be put on wrong
By TrailerTrash
#343515 did you give them a light coat of oil before you reinstalled the cam cover?

some people will disagree with this but i see it the same as an oil filter. a real light coat of oil over the seal/gasket does the trick
By 95egcoupenj
#343517 i did indeed apply a light coat of oil, is it possible the valve cover itself is bad
By TrailerTrash
#343530 are you tightening them to the right in/lb? and in the correct sequence?
By brandoff88
#343539 you know I bent my first one up really bad...had weird idle but no oil in the plugs...that's very strange...
By HeikDiesel
TrailerTrash wrote:did you give them a light coat of oil before you reinstalled the cam cover?

some people will disagree with this but i see it the same as an oil filter. a real light coat of oil over the seal/gasket does the trick

I don't oil static seals. The only reason you put oil on a filter is you have to spin it on so you need some type of lubrication when you twist that seal on tight.
By eg84dr
#343586 there are four seals under the rocker assembly
you could put a thousand new donut gaskets and valve cover gaskets and it would never fix the issue
heres a pretty good rebuild link on d-series it shows the gaskets im talking about underneath the rocker assembly
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/121481-diy-kitchen-counter-top-head-rebuild.html
hope this helps and isn't too confusing
By TrailerTrash
HeikDiesel wrote:
TrailerTrash wrote:did you give them a light coat of oil before you reinstalled the cam cover?

I don't oil static seals. The only reason you put oil on a filter is you have to spin it on so you need some type of lubrication when you twist that seal on tight.

ive never had a seal leak after putting oil on it.

not trying to argue im just saying. thats why i said some will disagree
By HeikDiesel
TrailerTrash wrote:
HeikDiesel wrote:

ive never had a seal leak after putting oil on it.

not trying to argue im just saying. thats why i said some will disagree

I always welcome new ways to do things. Only downfall I can see in it is if you worked for a shop and did that for a customer car some might weep a little giving off the appearance of a leak.
By TrailerTrash
#343632 that is true. good thing i only use my subpar skills on my own heaps of shit

:lol: