D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Hollywud34
#343402 i have a 95 sedan, i pulled the B7 motor about a year ago and started a rebuild, then found a d15B block for cheaper then a rebuild on my B7 (pulled piston heads out in pieces) i have some questions on the block like,

1)what us model block can i use a water pump and tensioner off of

2)what timing belt can i use

thanks

B7 accessories dont fit
By teal_dx
#343404 You need the water pump and tensioner to be the same as the block (D15B).
I'm not sure on the timing belt. D15b7 head on a JDM D15B block is an unusual combo. Once you get the pump/tensioner, I'd try your old D15b7 belt to see how it fits. If it's good, then get a new one. If not, you'll have to count the teeth and compare other timing belts that are slightly bigger/smaller. :thumb:
By Hollywud34
#343407 the block came with a water pump and tensioner i was just going to replace them with the ones i bought for my B7 and realized they diddnt fit. im new to mixing and matching and yes it kind of rare i went with it because i got a good deal on the block but being rare is making finding help hard. Also the timing belt a little loose
By eg84dr
#343409 if you have a usdm d15b it is from an 88 crx which is what you would need the water pump and timing belt from.
if you are using a jdm d15b iirc i used d16z6 water pump and timing belt on my build
i will probably get flammed for this but i never trust the tensioner on its own i always use a small prybar and go a little tighter then they do own their own which makes up the slack when i used a z6 belt on my jdm d15b
By Hollywud34
#343414 to be honest im not sure the guy i bought it off said it was jdm but i dont know forsure and dont know the guy so who knows any tells on the block i could look at to tell?
By eg84dr
#343415 if your looking at the block as if it was in the car there is a small pad on the lower left hand side where the tranny bolts up there should be a d15 stamped in it with some numbers after it
if it just says d15b its jdm if it says something like d15b7 or d15b1 its usdm
also the pistons have a code stamped in the top of them
take some pictures and we will be able to tell for sure
:thumb:
By Hollywud34
#343416 i know its stamped D15B and its in car head on and all the problem is i had all pictures of the block and head on my old phone witch doed on me so idk
By Hollywud34
#343418 thats what i thought but im not entirely sold on it to be honest i checked the head code last night and i dont recal what it is pff hand but i know it didnt sound right
By TrailerTrash
#343426 im pretter sure on the back of the motor near the bottom right above the oil pan theres a stamp that should say p08 aswell
By brandoff88
#343453 question.....why would you put a non vtec b7 head on a jdm vtec block....that seems a little pointless....
By teal_dx
#343457 I think he only has the jdm d15b block and a full d15b7 motor. I'd do it that way so down the road if he finds a deal on a vtec head, he can do a simple mini-me swap and have a strong Sohc instead of the pencil rods in the d15b7.
By Hollywud34
#343458 because its simply a dd all its goo for is getting grocries and driving to work there for the cheapiest option witch at the time was the jdm block