D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps

SHOULD I TURBO THE D15B

70%
30%
By eghatchie33
#341561 Hello Civic-eg Ive been a member for some time now and havent been on in a wile :? . I just bought a new civic its a 1993 Honda Civic Hatch CX. :thumb: I love my hondas and always have, ive had one ricer and never will i ever again. Im about to start this project and I bought the car with a list of parts that I will include in the build forum that will be up soon. But long story short, this car has a D15B in it and im wondering whats a good idea for this motor. NOW I HAVE READ the post on the engine specs made by teal_dx :D and i see that this motors not that bad. Should i rebuild it with all new everything and have it set for turbo or what? I need some ideas here so please help me and tell me your ideas on it im super happy to start this!!!! :woot: :woot:
By Phoenix288
#341564 This is my personal taste but nothing beats the sound of an NA engine.
By teal_dx
#341582 JDM D15B is a great SOHC to boost. Now how much HP are you looking to get? Daily driver? What's your budget?

N/A motors sound great but building a N/A D isn't worth the $$ because the power you'll get out of it isn't anywhere near what you'll get from building a N/A B series or K. However, a proper boosted D won't break the bank and get you good HP for your dollar. :thumb:
By jefferydclark
#341588 my d15b on 8psi pulled on a b18b on 8psi and he had all brand name parts. I had ebay everything and basemap. the engine lasted a year with me beating it to death. the only reason it went down was the oil pump gave out. if you boost it, do yourself a favor and buy an oil pressure gauge. it WILL save your engine.
By suspendedHatch
#341592 So it has a JDM D15B or the stock D15B8?

The 8 valve D15B8 isn't worth spending money on.
By eghatchie33
#341610 budget wise looking at around 1k or a little more. for just the motor and turbo. and its a JDM d15b. any turbo set up ideas? and yes i will deff have all the gauges ( oil, fuel, tach, temp)
By eghatchie33
#341611 I really just want something good, i wanna do it right, Im going to pull the motor and bring it to my machine shop and have all new good parts put in. any ideas on internals? JE? Arp? Comp? Eagle? give me a good build to get most HP and performance.. Im deff going with the turbo! :woot: Any ideas on a cheaper but good turbo??
By Phoenix288
#341613 The thing is that it is a shared car. You have to consider the abilities of your sisters.

Since you're the only one to know that, you'll have to decide on how much power you want to add. That's my opinion. Afterwards, it's only personal taste.

To be honest, for me it is more about enjoying the car than adding crazy amounts of power. I'll run my D13 to its death before making a swap.
By Axix23
#341705 what about getting a jrsc for it? :) i know thats not a choice..

What do you plan on doing with the car? street it? track? drag? dd? weekend warrior? whp goals?
By teal_dx
#341709 $1k isn't close enough for quality parts and decent power.

If you go all used/ebay parts and skimp on the fuel management, $1k will do if you're fabbing everything yourself.

I'd save up and do it right the first time.... $2k is more likely. If you're building the motor with forged internals, new oil pump, machine work etc... might as well add another $1k

The saying goes: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.... pick 2 of the 3.

What's this you're sharing the car with your sisters? In that case, I would probably not boost it.
By Axix23
teal_dx wrote:$1k isn't close enough for quality parts and decent power.

If you go all used/ebay parts and skimp on the fuel management, $1k will do if you're fabbing everything yourself.

I'd save up and do it right the first time.... $2k is more likely. If you're building the motor with forged internals, new oil pump, machine work etc... might as well add another $1k

What's this you're sharing the car with your sisters? In that case, I would probably not boost it.

How do you skimp on fuel management? The car would run like shit and blow up... Lol. :twisted: :twisted:
By teal_dx
Axix23 wrote:
teal_dx wrote:$1k isn't close enough for quality parts and decent power.

How do you skimp on fuel management? The car would run like shit and blow up... Lol. :twisted: :twisted:

Exactly! But some people still use FMU's like it's 1999 :facepalm:
By eghatchie33
#341803 2k is what I can spend, I also work in a machine/repair shop. I get cost on any part :woot: I know I can ask the guys there and they could build me a bad ass motor 8) but id rather ask my HONDA brothers. give me ideas on brands and fuel pump ideas.

I really should make the build page and list what I have so far. :thumb:
By jefferydclark
#343033 you can build and boost a d series for 2k or less EASY. you wont have top of the line parts BUT its a d series so if you're asking for more than 250hp you're looking down a long road ahead of you. if it were mine, i'd buy a decent little starter setup(parts sourced individually) and boost it on stock internals with headstuds. you can do that for about 800 bucks including a street tune from a local tuner if you have the time to wait around for parts. a 200whp d series with 200tq is STOUT and its a great little ride. I've done a 200hp setup with stock fuel pump(rewired) and dsm 450's with an ebay turbo setup. its not the best but I didn't expect the best. what I ended up with was a car that lasted longer than I needed it too and it fueled my boost cravings to where i'm at today completely building 4th turbo d series(with good parts this time). you have to look in to what you want and take risks that you're willing to take. its very easy for someone to get on here and tell you to not buy cheaper parts because of what they have read on forums. i'm not telling you to buy cheap parts but if you just want a little go fastness and pull on all motor b series(including a lot of "built" ones) then turbo it in stock form and put money toward a solid tune.

edit: this is my opinion based on experience and comparing my car with "brand name" built d series cars. my car dyno'd at 263/262 with an ebay turbo setup(cxracing) and cxracing rods with vitara pistons. I had about 1300 in the setup and I spent another 600 buying my own tuning software BUT I could have got a street tune for 200 so I could have easily had 1500 in that build that made the same power numbers as a friend made. of course that's just comparing dyno numbers but the car held its own around my area.