D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By lalo
#341002 Ok I'm a newbie thats going to buy a del sol with a mini-me engine. It has a D16Z6 head and D15B7 Block. It needs an adjustable cam gear. My question is if anybody knows if blacksworks or DNA Motoring cam gears are any good??? :?
By lalo
#341005 Any suggestions on any other cam gears??
By TrailerTrash
#341012 why does it need an adjustable one? what else is done to it?
By Uknterror
#341014 Ajdustable gear does nothing for performance if you don't know how to use it. Mini-me's do not require an adjustable one, if there is something wrong with the engine where the owner states it might need one, id stay away because its just going to give you headaches.
By lalo
#341023 The timing is supposedly off by half a tooth. The car also has a port and polished head, carb legal dc headers, y8 intake manifold, short ram intake, short shifter, stage 2 clutch light flywheel, new water pump, new gaskets all around, strut bars and skunk 2 coilovers. The guy that is selling the car really doesn't know anything on cars his buddy was the one working on it building him the car but he is just impatient and he is selling it to me for $1000.
By egsedanguy
#341030 it sounds like somthing else. is your water pump the correct one? I belive that some have different teeth/pully size. I may be wrong but i have never heard of needing a cam gear for that set up.
By lalo
#341032 I'm sure the water pump is correct this guy has been working on eg's for a good while now. The car turns on and runs pretty good but he says that the cam gear is just to make sure the car is running properly. But if it doesn't need it then I just saved some money.
By lalo
#341033 Ima go check the timing marks my self in this set up the z6 head TDC mark is the 7o'clock mark right? Also the crank shaft pully on the B7 block has to line up with TDC mark correct?
By teal_dx
#341035 You are correct, timng is slightly off when putting a z6 head on d15b7 block. It's 1/2 tooth. (Y8 head on D15b7 blocks do not have the 1/2 issue.)

The d15b7 water pump should be used, as z6 will not fit.

When shopping for an adjustable timing gear, don't go too cheap. I'd be scared of anything under $100. Most of the good ones have 5 or 6 bolts. Stay away from any of the cheap ones with 3 or 4 bolts.
By lalo
teal_dx wrote:You are correct, timng is slightly off when putting a z6 head on d15b7 block. It's 1/2 tooth. (Y8 head on D15b7 blocks do not have the 1/2 issue.)

When shopping for an adjustable timing gear, don't go too cheap. I'd be scared of anything under $100. Most of the good ones have 5 or 6 bolts. Stay away from any of the cheap ones with 3 or 4 bolts.

Thanks for the advice I was gonna buy some for $60 but now Ima get the AEM cam gear. Another question I have is to set the timing correctly does it have to be advanced or retarded??
By Uknterror
teal_dx wrote:You are correct, timng is slightly off when putting a z6 head on d15b7 block. It's 1/2 tooth. (Y8 head on D15b7 blocks do not have the 1/2 issue.)

Gonna have to slightly disagree with that last statement. Most good ones are 4 bolt golden eagle, toda, and aem come to mind, some are 6 but not many like blackworks and skunk 2. My friend had a skunk 2 on his z6 and on the third time adjusting it one of the bolts stripped so be VERY careful (he was and it still stripped)
By jefferydclark
#341079 VMS ones are cheap and have done rather well according to my tuner. I believe you can get by without an adjustable cam gear though. I know several people running without one on mini me's with no problems.
By jefferydclark
#341080 get yourself a d16y cam gear. I ran one on my d15b with a z6 head and cam for over a year boosted with no problems. ran great and strong.
By lalo
jefferydclark wrote:get yourself a d16y cam gear. I ran one on my d15b with a z6 head and cam for over a year boosted with no problems. ran great and strong.

Thanks I'll look into that. :D