D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By DailyDriven94dx
#340870 I have a real puzzle here.....first off I am new to the forums so this is my first post.

Here's my problem:

Couple of days ago I was accelerating out of a parking lot and suddenly car started running on two cylinders. So I had the car towed home because I wasn't sure what the issue was and if it involved the timing belt.

I bought the car 3 months ago (now has 186k) The car ran rough so I replaced the distributor, distro cap, wire, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat. All parts that I replaced were original. The car ran like a dream. I drive over 100 miles a day so this was critical.

So enough about the background of the car, here's what I have checked so far. Spark on all 4 cyl, zero noise from valve train, i replaced the timing belt water pump and tensioner today, fuel distribution in all cyl., and compression.

Cylinders 2 and 3 are the ones not firing. When I pull those wires nothing happen but when I pull 1 or 4 the car stalls.

Please help ASAP I need my car for work.
Last edited by DailyDriven94dx on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By DailyDriven94dx
#340884 No cel

I also just verified that all injectors are within spec and working.

I'm stumped.

Idle is low initially but then climbs to 850-900 were it should be. Almost stalls when revved.
By teal_dx
#340885 Is everything stock? What motor do you have? I suspect something to do with the distributor. Do you know anyone with a civic that will let you swap dizzys for a test? (be sure to mark the position of each, so you won't have to re-time ignition).

Were the parts you put on OEM or auto zone/etc?
By DailyDriven94dx
#340886 Here are my only mods: shitty eBay coilovers(on the car when I bought it, will be replaced soon with some high end fully adjustables). HKS hipower catback exhaust( this was a surprise), K&N short ram intake, and rota jmag wheels. All of the tune up parts are honda except for the dizzy, it is a advance auto parts part. Both honda dealers near me were out of stock and I needed one ASAP.

I also pulled the dizzy apart checked rotor, cap, and all contacts. I didn't see anything unusual. Do you think it might be something internal in the dizzy?

My work just relocated me here about 6 months ago and I really don't know anyone near me with a civic.

I have a fluke multimeter is there some thing I should look for on the dizzy?

Motor is a d15b7
By teal_dx
#340891 I don't know what to check with a multi-meter. It's easy to blame an auto zone ignition part but still doesn't make sense because you have spark, fuel and compression on cyls 2 & 3.

It wouldn't hurt to call them to see if they can test or exchange the dizzy. Should be under warranty right?

Let me do some more thinking…

You said it had compression, what were the compression #'s?

You sound like you know what you're doing but just to be sure, did you triple check the firing order? I'm only saying that because once I double checked the wires and assumed the timing had to be off a tooth. After moving the belt a tooth and then back, I noticed I had 2 wires wrong on the dizzy. :oops:
By DailyDriven94dx
#340899 All cylinders were around 180, nothing more than a 5-10% difference. I read that for new d-series it should be around 190 so I'm happy with these numbers for a motor w/ 186k.

I was going to just say the dizzys bad and swap under warranty...worst case I get a new dizzy and the car is still acting up. ( Will be doing this tomorrow)

Wires are correct

There were SEVERAL variations of dizzy setups and wire orientations online but I did my research when I replaced the first time. I haven't changed wire setup since the car ran perfect a couple of days ago. Not even the simplest miss.

Btw...thanks for the help teal and Juice

I'm new to d series Hondas

I actually have a b20 vtec that needs a rebuild....might swap in later if I can keep a/c

:D
By DailyDriven94dx
#340924 No wire tuck

Ordered replacement dizzy will be here tomorrow.

Btw since when did autozone employees become 1st class honda techs?

This guy questioned me on everything and even had the nerve to question my ability to adjust valves......said there was no possible way it could be the dizzy, instead treys to sell me som $8 injector cleaner and new wires....I was just laughing and told him to order the dizzy.
By nd1983
#340926 have your tried swapping the plug wires? my 91 d15 had a similar issue and it was a bad pair of wires. they had a short
By DailyDriven94dx
#340928 Yes....I used some msd wires off my srt4.

I was thinking today that it might be some kind do ground issue?

Checked all grounds they looked good, battery was slightly loose but no corrosion.

Usually when I have a issue I can't figure out it ends up being something stupidly simple.
By DailyDriven94dx
#340981 UPDATE:

so I got the new dizzy last night put it on this morning and now the car won't crank...dash lights turn on fuel pump also. 12.5 volts on the battery. No signal to the starter. Now we had what us floridians call a cold snap (48 deg.) this morning but I'm so sure that's it.
By DailyDriven94dx
#340983 Got it to start....I must have broken the clutch switch....after I started...same issues only two cylinders firing.mew dizzy, cap, and rotor. Why would two cylinders not fire when they have proper timing, fuel, spark, and compression?

I'm stumped and frustrated. I have a timeframe I need the car by and I'm to that point of giving up.
By DailyDriven94dx
#340985 Now pulling off all injectors to clean. Do you think it might be a injector pulse timing issue? Maybe ecu?