D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Ahkten
#339949 Greetings folks,

Got a couple questions for y'all. So I got my car back about a month and a half ago and within the first week of driving it, ( in the early morning), the whole car started acting really weird. Idle was lower than usual, and when I went to accelerate on the highway, the whole car was shaking and studdering at 50-60kms. It's almost like the car couldn't breathe properly like it was suffocating lol .. Funny way to describe it but best way I can say it. It went away up until about a week ago...

Temps dropped to about -7, -10 degrees Celsius here and just starting the car is becoming a task in the cold weather. Last week I started the car and drove off as I do and it was just fine until I got onto the highway. I went uphill and put the car into 3rd and the whole car shook,vibrated and backfired like absolutely crazy when I was accelerating to 70kms. It got so bad that my car wouldn't even go past 40kms in 2nd when i shifted to a lower gear. The whole car felt bogged down. And I thought my engine was gonna blow! (Don't laugh I'm a noob lol)

My question is, what could this problem be? Is air not flowing properly? Is my engine on the way out? Acceleration is pretty lack lustre even after changing my clutch. Could this be a catalytic converter problem? I have no idea what it could be. My car has 276XXXkms, burns oil and has a bit of a lag when accelerating.. The lag by itself is a problem I haven't even looked into..

Thanks y'all.
By teal_dx
#339960 I'm guessing that it's ignition related. Cold is hard on electronics. Metal parts that should contact and conduct electricity slightly contract in the cold and can become less conductive. I'd say to inspect your cap & rotor, along with plugs and wires. When were those parts replaced last?
By Ahkten
teal_dx wrote:I'm guessing that it's ignition related. Cold is hard on electronics. Metal parts that should contact and conduct electricity slightly contract in the cold and can become less conductive. I'd say to inspect your cap & rotor, along with plugs and wires. When were those parts replaced last?

Cap and rotor is also my distributor, yes? If so, it was changed during the summer to a whole brand new OEM one. As for my plugs, I changed them back when I first bought the car a couple years ago. I dont believe Ive ever changed my wires.
By Axix23
#340242 check the timing of the vehicle too..
By ihavesol93
#340245 I dont know if it would be the cold, its -20 Celsius here and haven't had a hiccup in any of my cars. I say check air system, and timing. Sounds like maybe a cat problem. My sedan does this every now and again but it doesnt matter the weather. If anything try another ecu.