D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Wonabe
#336860 My hatch came with a D16Y8 and matching manual trans, the previous owner said it was sourced from a 97 Del Sol Si. It's running a p28 ecu, I haven't looked to see if it's the rare OBD2 or one the obd1 Z6 one.

Anyways, until it warms up you can't take it over 2500~rpm, it hesitates when you try. After it warms up it runs nice and smooth, vtec cracks hard. It usually takes 3-5 minutes of normal driving before I can get on it. Judging by the smell of the exaust it's running a lil rich, too :thumbdown:

I noticed a few plugs aren't connected. The MAP sensor isn't connected and it looks like that is one of the connectors hanging, it'll need extended to reach around the intake mani. There's also that weird yellow one beside it and another loose plug by the alt. If anyone can identify the plugs and help me fix the problems I'd really appreciate it. It's in a 93 DX, no CEL. I know it works because they all flash when you first turn the key and can make it throw a light if I unhook something

Here's pics of the plugs :P
By pkaewthong34
#336862 is it b7 block ? becuz i got one of mine hanging too lol
By juls1488
#336872 that yellow plug that looks like a nipple is your IAT sensor. on an obd1 car it goes in the back of the intake manifold. on the d16y8 it goes in the intake pipe before the throttle body.

the loose plug next to it looks like it could be the evap purge solenoid. you dont necessarily need that, but your mpg's wont be as good without it.

the plug in the second picture you dont need. thats the ckf sensor for the y8. obd1 doesnt have that.

and definitely plug your map sensor in. leaving it unplugged is not helping your motor.
the p28 is obd1.
the obd2 sohc vtec ecu is p2p
By suspendedHatch
#336992 The car isn't drivable without a MAP sensor. That's your main issue.
An IACV should at least be plugged in. It will run fine just dangling but ideally you should get that into your intake stream.
The P28 will run a Y8 but far from optimally. You can chip a P28 and run a Y8 fuel and ignition map, but this still isn't as good as having the correct ECU with the CKF strategy, knock sensor etc.
By pkaewthong34
#337005 can i see another the yellow wire that u were talking bout ? im trying to figure mine out too since i got couple plug that disconnect
By Wonabe
#337075 Popped my hood today to do some extending and remembered encountering a few civics with the MAP sensor mounted to the firewall. Sure enough there mine was, plugged in. Should I do anything with the one on the intake?

there are obd2 p28, I accidentally sold one to a guy with a Z6 and had it promptly returned. Come to think of it I pulled it from a Sol. Either way I see mine is obd1 and Ill be on the lookout for a p2p. I'm still having the hesitation when cold, any ideas?

Also is it alright to take it past the y8's original redline? I have no tach but Im pretty sure Im hitting 7000rpm+. It always lands back in vtec but feels like it reaches peak power way sooner. If I shift when I feel the most power I land outside of vtec :?
By juls1488
Wonabe wrote:Also is it alright to take it past the y8's original redline? I have no tach but Im pretty sure Im hitting 7000rpm+. It always lands back in vtec but feels like it reaches peak power way sooner. If I shift when I feel the most power I land outside of vtec :?

The p28 ecu cuts fuel at 7400 rpms and the redline for the z6 was 7200.
The d16y8's redline was 6800 and fuel cut was 7200, so your definitely going past the original redline using the p28 ecu.
If the bottom end of the motor is healthy and the valvetrain is in good shape, it might not hurt it too badly, but remember, Honda doesn't pick the redlines for its motors out of a hat.
By teal_dx
#337097 The map on the firewall should have a small vacuum line going to the Intake manifold. Otherwise I would say, if it is not throwing a cel, it's probably fine. Just for a piece of mind though, you can try plugging it into the map on the throttle Body to see what it does. Either way, leave the map on the throttle body in place or there will be a hole there and you will have a major vacuum leak.
By Wonabe
#337358 Still having hesitation the first few minutes. Everything's plugged up but what's pictured. I'm going to try a few easier things first like pulling and cleaning the iacv. I noticed the distributor is advanced too, how do I go about getting that back center? The idle sounds too low when I put it back in the middle.
By juls1488
Wonabe wrote:Still having hesitation the first few minutes. Everything's plugged up but what's pictured. I'm going to try a few easier things first like pulling and cleaning the iacv. I noticed the distributor is advanced too, how do I go about getting that back center? The idle sounds too low when I put it back in the middle.

what distributor are you using? the y8 or the z6?