D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By broken
#335875 not trying to be an ass but all three engines that have been in my 92 Si have had a knock sensor location on the back side of the block. And the factory harness that is in my car has the connector there awaiting the knock sensor
By suspendedHatch
#335876 The D16Z6 doesn't have a knock sensor. The P28 has no provision for it.

I'm pretty sure you're looking at the oil pressure switch.
By TrailerTrash
#335894 Im going to agree with SH. I made that same mistake on my girlfriends EK when she first got it
By anya2dgre
#335926 Well guys this is real funny because in my obd1 engine there is a spot for a knock sensor and excluding the oil unit. I swapped in a obd2 but there is no provisions for the knock sensor and the harness has the connector for the knock sensor. Can anyone tell me how or which part of the engine I can install the knock sensor, if I have to drill and tap, or any good ideas. I will really appreciate it[/img]
By teal_dx
#335952 Just noticed you're in Trinidad. Maybe they had knock sensors over there...
Can you give us some info on your car? What engine code and what ecu does it have?
By broken
#335969 funny. Thats exactly what my car has as well. There is a location for the knock sensor under the intake. Its closer to the timing belt. and should be right between the runners for 1 and 2 cylinder. Thats where my knock sensor is located. Hope that helps
By anya2dgre
#335975 I baught engine and harness seperately. It's a D15B 3stage VTec with a p2j-j62 ecu and a s20 gearbox and that's it.
By suspendedHatch
broken wrote:http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd1.htm
If this link works for you it will show that the P28 ECU on connector "C" pin "3" is the location for the Knock Sensor Signal. This is an option.

That's for B series as it says in parenthesis.

B series and OBD2 D series have knock sensors. OBD1 and below D series do not.

The 3 Stage VTEC is an OBD2 engine. You can add wires for a knock sensor like what you'd have to do with a B series swap. You'll also have to add EGR, 2nd VTEC, and a crank fluctuation sensor wiring.
By anya2dgre
#335978 Well actually I wired in the obd2 harness. Everything is complete, its just that knock sensor code keeps showing up. I will post some pics on what I did. You see the knock sensor did not come with the engine and being familiar with the original obd1 engine and harness I wasn't aware of the knock sensor. I was just looking for a way to fool the ecu, but the knock sensor is kind of tricky because it gives of a varying voltage. I guess I will have to source one from ebay or something like that.
By anya2dgre
#336084 [url][URL=http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/anya2dgre/media/1375714451692_zpsf29ab643.jpg.html]Image[/url]
[/url]
By suspendedHatch
#336106 OBD1 D series does not have a knock sensor.
3 Stage VTEC is OBD2.
If the ECU is throwing a code for Knock Sensor, then your engine definitely has it. It would look like a flat plug in the block of the motor and would have only one wire going to it.

It would be very difficult and somewhat expensive to add an aftermarket knock sensor and get it working with your stock ECU.