D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By broken
#335430 Hey guys been awhile. I have thrown yet another crank pulley on my hatch. I bought a D16Z6 to replace my D15B 3 stage vtec that was in the car. I really miss my D15B now. Anyways does anyone know where I can purchase a brand new crank shaft from for my D15B?
By Punksz6
#335436 Dealer will be around $1 grand and (Majestic) hondaautomotiveparts.com around $840.00. Maybe on Ebay or other sites will be cheaper.
By broken
#335443 I was figuring alot less :( That sux. I looked on ebay for cranks and they are all garbage with the same issue mine has. No Splines left on the pulley side. FML
By nd1983
#335450 the D15B7 crank is $1400 Cad from Honda, so i'm guessing the D15B will be more then $1000
By pkaewthong34
teal_dx wrote:Did you have the woodruff key installed? Torqued down properly?
For that price, you might as well buy another used block and sell the rest.

thats true tho ... if u gonna pay that much then just get new block ..1400 for crankshaft ! AI YA !!!
By broken
#335469 Everything was as it should have been. Woodruff key installed. Pulley torqued to 135 ft/lbs. Timing belt was still within the 40K mile range from last replacement. The damaging factor to it all was a bad tensioner pulley. When I took the engine apart the Tensioner was locked up. Would not turn at all. I run my upper timing cover open. And we have had a month of non stop rain here in Vero Beach where I am currently at. I figure with all the deep water I have been going thru It may have added to some extra corrosion. IDK
By pkaewthong34
#335472 not even a drop on this side !! we need Rain here !!
By broken
#335997 Got a new question on the Crankshafts. I have noticed recently through searching that alot of engine rebuilds on D series engines show the Crank pulley side of the shaft absent of any splines. Are people removing the splines and going with just a woodruff key to hold the pulley in place? I have looked at OEM crankshafts and they are showing the splines for the crank pulley.
By broken
#336000 So do you just pray the woodriff key holds and the torque on the pulley? I mean it seems to be the only way I can deal with it. Just concerns me if the key breaks I will destroy things yet again. But on the brighter side of things I can get a replacement crank if thats the case for under $300 :)
By teal_dx
#336007 I've never heard of a key breaking unless the pulley came looks first and chewed up the key and or crankshaft. I think there may be a torque sequence to the crank pulley bolt... Don't have manual here but I think I recall having to retorque it after so many miles if driving.