D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 94-d15b
#335269 not sure where to put this but I just recently got a 93 civic ex with a d15b2 with a vtec head.. it runs good but burns some oil but just needed a car to run well my d15b is being built.. but my tach bounces. I switched dizzys still does it and it seems to cut in and out with power when u really get on it... vtec don't work either..so any help would be great thanks..
By asianrob
#335278 check your wiring for your vtec. if theres any check engine lights on check them. might be a cause for your vtec not to work.

change out clusters and see if that makes a difference for your tach. and check the wiring for that too.
By 94-d15b
#335298 i checked wiring its all good and there is no check engine lights.. and alright ill get a new cluster n c if that helps would that be the reason my car cuts in and out of power when u get on it?
By Ajax1989
#335299 check all the grounds too
By Punksz6
#335300 If your running low on oil sometimes the vtec wont kick in. Also check the plug at the vtec solenoid carefully. I had a little tear in my wiring and it would cut out. It could be the sensor as well or the whole solenoid.

With the Tach check the grounds but sounds like the cluster is going out. If it was the speedometer I would say to check the vss, but more than likely its the cluster.

When you talk about cuts in and out. Do you mean it bogs down or it stutters?
By Punksz6
AjG20 wrote:check all the grounds too

I was just writing this then I seen your post Aj :lol:
By Ajax1989
Punksz6 wrote:
AjG20 wrote:check all the grounds too

I was just writing this then I seen your post Aj :lol:

great minds think alike! :thumb:

it sounds to me like the ecu ground might be lose,
there could be a vacuum leak, or air In the coolent
By 94-d15b
#335335 ill do that where is ecu ground? also after like 3grand when I get on highway it starts to sputter for say n has power than a second later losses it and just repeats but everyonce and awhile it doesn't do it at all.. thanks for help so far tho.
By 94-d15b
#335373 okay this is pissing me off lol!! now its doing this thing were its like hitting the rev limiter but ur not even up to about 5 grand! Im not exactly sure how to explain it but its bugging me! it bounces even when cruise is on!
By Punksz6
#335383 Sorry to hear that,sometimes its hard to pinpoint what's going on, what ecu are u running?
By Punksz6
#335384 Oh and did u ever check and see if you had air in your cooling system. Bleed the air out. Could be a bad air pocket, causing the surging idle.
By 94-d15b
#335393 im running a p28 ecu and no air in system check that.. its not surging idle. okay say I go to get on highway and try getting on it. car goes to about 3-4 grand and starts missing or something n than if u let off some it will quite n can continue running the gear out.. im not exactly sure how to explain what it does. im thinking about posting a video so u guys can know exactly what I mean..
By 94-d15b
#335404 well I think I solved most of the problem! haha it was so simple I changed plugs and wires n it made a world of difference :) so lets c if it does it any more after this lol thanks for help!
By Punksz6
#335437 Sometimes its always something simple and that could have been overlooked. Did you ever change the cap and rotor as well? Nice to that hear the good news. :thumb:
By 94-d15b
#335441 right! and yeah I changed the whole dizzy the new plugs and wires fixed the bouncing tach and the stuttering! but need to find a z6 swap or just sell car cuz the d15b2 with z6 head its a pooch! my buddys z6 with like 90 pounds compression all the way across smoked my car. lol