D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By alexwiththeeg3
#334890 Hi all, so I've yet another problem on my eg3... This time it's to do with the electrics (sort of). Basically what's happening is, I turn my lights on, my revs drop to round about 600? If I turn say my heated rear windscreen on too the revs drop to about 100-200 and at this point the engines ready to cut out, although it never actually cuts out (just makes setting off a pain). My dad's under the impression there may be an 'idle up switch' or something that may be broke? If this is the case does anyone have any ideas as to what I do? And if it isn't do you guys have any other suggestions?..
Any helps on this will be greatly appreciated, it's beyond my basic car knowledge!
By teal_dx
#334892 It is normal for that to happen a little bit but not to the point where the engine will stall. Have you checked the condition of the battery terminals and grounds? Corrosion or a bad connection could be the cause. Turning up the idle Is only going to be a bandaid to cover up the existing problem without curing it.
By alexwiththeeg3
#334913 I'm aware they should drop slightly but this seems a bit excessive that's all. The battery terminals are both in alright nick and as for the grounds, what is it I'm checking?
By slow4dr
#334918 Your idle may be to low. what rpm does your car idle at. It should idle between 600-750rpm
By alexwiththeeg3
#334919 The idle is fine without lights etc on, idles around 800, it's only when lights are turned on and other electrical that the problem occurs, although the stereo doesn't affect it
By alexwiththeeg3
#334920 It's a 1.3 single carb so there is an adjuster for the idle speed and it has been raised because of this
By Copepsy
alexwiththeeg3 wrote:It's a 1.3 single carb so there is an adjuster for the idle speed and it has been raised because of this

Oh hello first of all :). I have same car same engine and same problem... and many more problems with this carby shitty stuffs :/. I dont know how to fix this. + my Gpm is 10L on 100kms open road, shifting on 2500 rpm etc... economic ride and still 10L this is so bad :/
By alexwiththeeg3
#339578 Hi there :) I'm still having this same problem, the engine nearly cuts and and causes some crazy wobble on the interior for the spluttering, but as for my mpg I'd say it's pretty good... Got a complete stainless exhaust with decat and I can still get 35mpg when I drive sensibly :p
By egsedanguy
#339583 have you tested your altinator???it may be keeping your batter alive but may not be working at full capacity. also check your engine grounds. just a few things i would start with.
By alexwiththeeg3
#339584 The alternator was something I suspected but have never got round to checking, as for the earths I'm not sure what I'm actually looking at
By Copepsy
#339603 Oke i drived my car today and when i was shifting from 4 to fift gear my car turned off :/ so bad... 2 times... My lights was on + i turned heat coz out side is cold... and my rmp was 0 engine turned off ! i cant belive it! :/ i was in 60 kmh when i was shifted from 4 to 5 gear.. and bam... this is so paintful :/!
By alexwiththeeg3
#339605 I can't say I've had the problem on the move... When I come to a stand still at some lights it nearly cuts out, but I've never had anything that extreme :s
By Copepsy
#339607 Me naither untile today :S
By egsedanguy
alexwiththeeg3 wrote:The alternator was something I suspected but have never got round to checking, as for the earths I'm not sure what I'm actually looking at

There are 2 on the engine. one that is on passanger side by the trans. and bolted to the body. second is on rad support and attaches to the valve cover. also check the ground on the batterie it bolts to the pass side shock tower :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#339610 Do the carbureted versions have an ELD in the engine bay fuse box? It's supposed to compensate for electronic load by increasing the idle.

Has anyone mentioned to clean out and test the IACV?