D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 93WhiteCX
#334232 So here is the background. I replaced the radiator and hoses about two months ago due to the upper seam of the radiator leaking. Then about a month ago I started overheating and ended up replacing the thermostat and the cooling fan switch. The issue appeared resolved.

Yesterday I was driving and started overheating. I got home and popped the hood. The only thing I noticed that seemed odd was that the radiator wasn’t hot. So this morning I drove into work about 15 miles interstate. The gauge stayed right at the normal location just below half the entire drive. So when I arrived I idled with no AC for 5 minutes. Then I idled with the AC for 5 minutes. The gauge stayed right where it should be.

So any thoughts on what is causing an intermittent overheating issue?
By HeikDiesel
#334240 Is there a difference in temperature between the upper and lower radiator hoses?
By 93WhiteCX
#334242 Yes. Both were hot, but the lower hose was cooler. By about 10 or 15 degrees per my IR thermometer.

Just drove to the store 10 miles each way, stop and go traffic, AC on, no overheating.
By suspendedHatch
#334318 When you changed the thermostat, did you line up the little bypass correctly?

Does your water pump leak from the weep hole?

Does your radiator cap hold pressure?
By 93WhiteCX
#335473 So I have had zero overheating issues since the original post until yesterday. Almost home and started overheating. I let it cool off then lookedd it over, the overflow tank was empty, so I filled that up. I then started it and brought it up to operating temp. The lower radiator hose and radiator stayed cool, but the car was overheating. The thermostats housing was over 200.

Drove it to work today and it ran hot on the drive in, 65 degrees out today.

So I am thinking the thermostats I put in is bad, but fear a head gasket. What do you think?
By 93WhiteCX
#335474 Just went out and opened the radiator, very low on coolant. I guess it is down to a leak or a head gasket.

What all do I need to remove to check the waterpump weep hole?