D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By alexwiththeeg3
#333349 Hey guys, so today I picked myself up a very ugly esi with the d16z6 (the vtec one) and I'm gonna use it as a donor, what would anyone suggest I take from it? Like would the cam be a simply chuck it in and it will be fine? Or will the fact it's vtec mess it up? Because I heard you need the ecu and loom? What else should I swap over? ~ no one say engine swap ~
thanks guys!
By alexwiththeeg3
#333351 Forgot to mention I have the d13 that has the single carb
By nd1983
#333360 why not do a full motor swap since you have a donor car?
By alexwiththeeg3
#333366 Because the labour would cost a fortune and the insurance would be even more, I'm only 17
By nicksdelslow
#333368 Idk how ur insurance works but most insurance companies don't ask anything about motor swaps or performance upgrades unless u mention it. And as far as the motor swap it will all swap over piece for piece.
By alexwiththeeg3
#333370 Yeah but it would invalidate my insurance, motor swap is out of the question
By alexwiththeeg3
#333384 Also, does anyone know if the exhaust manifolds are swappable? My d16 hasa stainless mani on
By nd1983
#333390 i've done several engine swaps with minimal tools and the first 2 times very little knowledge so its a task that can be done at home. Lots of DIYs about doing it yourself. And for insurance purposes most don't care what modifications you have unless it increases the value of the car by $2000 or more. my company doesn't care unless there is $5000 worth of mods.

alexwiththeeg3 wrote:Also, does anyone know if the exhaust manifolds are swappable? My d16 hasa stainless mani on

IMO i doubt any engine parts are interchangeable due to the engine size difference.
By alexwiththeeg3
#333391 So what would you suggest I do mod wise as I have the d16 now? and as for the insurance they're going to charge me a fortune for the car as a standard 1.3 as soon as I even put a sticker on it they'll probably want to charge me more
By nd1983
#333392 What do you want out of your car? speed, looks, fun to drive, what? you plan to try autoX or drag race? because there is a bunch of stuff you can do to the car for any of these. the engine is limited.
By alexwiththeeg3
#333396 Well the car handles great, and doesn't stop too bad, but the 1.3 I've got is too damn slow and is letting the car down, I don't want anything crazy, I just want more beans from my engine... So I wondered if a z6 head swap was possible including going to injectors?
By nd1983
#333399 a z6 minime is possible but its alot of work and even more reading to do before you start.
By alexwiththeeg3
#333406 So is there nothing that's an easy swap? I was sure the d series use the same exhaust manifolds... It's not bother if not I mainly got it for rear disk conversion, I just thought I might be able to get some engine mods done too
By alexwiththeeg3
#333570 Ok so I've been scanning the internet again and people are saying the put the z6 head on and it's made quite the difference in power, just how much is involved with this head swap?