D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By theforce
#331296 Hey guys, simply and maybe stupid question but I've got my engine out of the car (D15Z2 single carb) and I want to remove the clutch and flywheel. The timing belt has been chopped off (don't ask why, lol). Apart from using air tools, how do I remove the clutch as it spins when I try to undo the bolts.
By rustyrex
#331300 The clutch cover bolts are tightened to like 20 lbs I think. I used a ratchet and just hit it with my hand and they all loosened. Then I grabbed a small piece of 1/8th inch aluminiumand drilled 2 holes in it. On hole was for a bolt to hold it where the tranny bolts to the other was smaller for a clutch cover bolt on the flywheel to remove that. That way I could crank on it with my pry bar. I did the same think to torque the flywheel back on.
By TrailerTrash
rustyrex wrote:The clutch cover bolts are tightened to like 20 lbs I think. I used a ratchet and just hit it with my hand and they all loosened. Then I grabbed a small piece of 1/8th inch aluminiumand drilled 2 holes in it. On hole was for a bolt to hold it where the tranny bolts to the other was smaller for a clutch cover bolt on the flywheel to remove that. That way I could crank on it with my pry bar. I did the same think to torque the flywheel back on.

its more like 75 or so foot pounds dude. sounds like your flywheel was ready to flyoff jajaja

you may be able to use the crank pulley to help keep it from spinning aswell as a homemade tool/innovation on the flywheel studs/clutch bolts/flywheel teeth.

its much easier with a helper
By rustyrex
#331318 The clutch covet bolts for my A6 are only 19lbs the flywheel bolts are 75lbs I just checked.
By theforce
#331320 Thanks guys :) I thought it might require some trick and elbow grease. I tried hitting my ratchet hard with a hammer just to shock loose the bolt but it didn't do much...will post how I go about it.
By TrailerTrash
rustyrex wrote:The clutch covet bolts for my A6 are only 19lbs the flywheel bolts are 75lbs I just checked.

my mistake i checked the flywheel instead of clutch cover specs
By theforce
#331397 Alright, finally got the crank bolt off. I flipped the engine upside down on the ground and wrapped a trolley jack handle with some rags and shoved it through the crankshaft and into the cylinder to stop it moving. Then for the crank bolt I used an exhaust pipe on my ratchet to give me some lever and with my feet on the engine while pushing the trolley jack handle the opposite way, gave it some elbow grease and it loosened :woot: Used a 10mm spanner to remove the clutch bolts the same way while the handle was still through the crankshaft. I wrapped it good to avoid scratching or damaging the cylinder.

Btw, I had to use a impact socket as my Stanley socket with Lifetime warranty split the first time I tried it.

Now to remove the flywheel bolts...gonna be another ball breaker day :eh:
By brandoff88
#331407 Stanley is shit, I broke 3 ratchets and 2 12 mm sockets that were Stanley...craftsman or snap on are the way to go
By rustyrex
#331409 After craftsman stopped the warranty on a lot of their tools and started buying cheaper steel their tools have sucked. Snap on is just too damn expensive for me. Personally I use cornwell and Stanley. With Stanley it is easy to get. I have had the same socket and wrench set for 11 years and haven't broken a single piece.
By theforce
#331582 The Stanley kit has taken quite some punishment over the years and for the price they were a great buy but this time it let go. Now to see if they'll send me a replacement!
By rustyrex
#331589 They should. I am extremely anal when it comes to my warranties. I keep a file with all my receipts and a copy of each one just incase they want it. It's a good idea to keep the upc code as well.