D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330418 both bolts for valve cover on d15b7 were snapped inside the head. guess they were old as shit seeing how, at least i think the trq specs say its a 7... they popped with minimal strength. anyway, i got some cobalt drill tips, drilled out some perfect shaped holes. any recommendation on how to rethread successfully? tried a few different methods. self tapping screws arent strong enough to create a stable thread pattern either. gave it my best. about to just epoxy the leaking side of the valve cover to hold me over til swap day. as usual, any input is gladly accepted. :?
By teal_dx
#330423 What I have done before is drill a small hole in the broken bolt, then use a reverse drill bit or extractor screw in that hole to twist the broken bolt out of the head. They aren't very tight so that's the easiest way to get them out. (They're also easy to over-tighten too.
By HeikDiesel
#330435 They make thread inserts if you have enough meat in the head to drill out a larger hole. Can't really picture how much room you have to work with but that is what I would do.
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330439 i ended up just flex sealing the bastard until i get paid. i will be looking into the thread inserts. i wanted to go the reverse drill bit route but i couldnt get my hands on one again. so ready for my swap. might do it earlier. if possible.
By HeikDiesel
#330453 Is there still some of the old bolt left in the holes or did you drill it out too big already? They shouldn't be in there very tight. I had one of mine broken off and was able to get it out with a punch and a hammer.
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330631 Realized it is entirely easier and cheaper to properly fix the issue after all. New valve cover studs ordered this morning from local Honda dealership, they'll be in tomorrow evening. Cost me 9 bucks a stud but it's worth avoiding any further issues. I also am having trouble with my oil pressure sensor, it was broken at the plug in area so I can't splice the wire together again. It's looking like lifting the car and removing the oil filter is easiest route in working with this particular area. Any tips are welcomed.