D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330318 ok, so in the next two months im really trying to dedicate as much time into planning and doing my jdm d16z6 swap right. its going to get a turbo thrown onto it, but my dilemma is this, tall vs short gearing. do i use my dx trans or ex trans? in the begining, the car will be tuned for 8-10 psi on stock internals dd, after running that for 2-3 months and saving up cash in that time, i'll drop it all on the internals, retune to 8psi for dd and have setup for 14psi when at events/racing. got a family friend with 20+ years mechanic experience helping with the build. sorry in advance if im posting a faq or something.
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330320 basically, just wanna know if dx trans is good for boost because of taller gearing or if the ex trans closer gearing still better even when boosted. i have mixed views on this.
DX- taller gears means build boost and ride out full boost on tall gear
or
EX- shorter gears means get through gears quicker and possibly still have spool going strong through quick changing gears
By teal_dx
#330322 Shorter gears will always mean faster acceleration. I have an ex/si trans on my boosted z6 and it goes through the gears pretty fast. With a t3, I still get good mpg on the highway if I'm doing 70-ish because it's just about to get into boost. Ripping around city streets is fun too. Going over 80-85 mph, the motor is screaming in 5th... prolly around 4k. So I can see how a longer 5th would be nice.
Unless your dx tranny is grinding or having other problems, i'd focus on the turbo build for now.
By TrailerTrash
#330325 DX/LX have the same 1st and 5th gear as the EX so the only difference will be 2nd-4th.

if your looking to wind out long gears in full boost look into a CX/VX tranny :hehe:
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330372 i dont suppose it really makes much difference other than, would it be easier to drop dx engine/tranny and then throw in ex engine/tranny all in one piece?? or just unbolt the engine from car and trans, only replacing the engine? btw while working on my dx engine today, i was trying to fix quite the issue, the valve cover bolt snapped right off inside the head with minimal effort... so i had a cement drill bit and spent like 4 hours drilling into it. got nowhere. should i continue tomorrow with correct drill bit and then just throw in a self tapping screw/bolt to end the leak til swap time next month?
By WHYsoBRUTAL
#330374 how much for a cx trans? have yet to find one for sale. or any trades out there? dx trans rebuilt end of 2012, had 177,000 but feels brand new. orrrr ex trans 60,000 miles.