D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By poke410
#329411 My 95 ex has been giving me some trouble for a couple weeks
After a 15-20 min drive (and right at start up sometimes) one of the cylinders magically stops firing when under load (if i engage the clutch and rev it decides it wants to fire again lol) so anyway reading online i think I've narrowed down the possibilities to something in the distributor (car has 165k, no idea if the dizzy was changed) but the previous owner changed all plugs and wires a year ago.
So I've taken out the coil from the distributor and i'm getting more resistance between the two connectors than i should (doesn't even make sense) and im going to test the icm later today
am i on the right track? Should I just replace the two parts? Would oem or autozone brand make a difference?
Thanks guys
By YNWA
#329583 If the plugs haven't been changed for a year they are probably about due. Either way, have you pulled the plugs to check their condition, especially on the suspect dead cylinder?
By poke410
#329607 i haven't pulled the plugs but i plan on tomorrow
noob question but what pugs do you guys recommend? should i worry spacing them
also i read on honda tech that tach jumping (which my car does at times) is a related issue...
thanks guys
By JohnRM
#329622 ^ Yeah. Make sure you check the gap on them. Your local auto parts store should tell you what the gap is as soon as they ask you for your car information.
By YNWA
#329636 the gap for the NGK plugs in a z6 is .044. i'd have to imagine its the same across the board for the d-series engines, though i'd double check if you have something else. You can get 4 V-powers for about ten dollars give or take, and they will treat you just fine.
They should come pre-gapped to .044 out of the box. I put a fresh set in on wednesday evening, and double checked them with the little tool you can get from any auto part store for like 3 bucks. they were all .044 bang on.
By YNWA
#329639 I'm very interested to see the condition of the plugs especially on the cylinder you suspect not to be firing. They will tell you a lot about the condition of your engine.

Post pics if they appear to be fouled :thumb:
By poke410
#329647 UPDATE
i felt lazy this morning (spring break) so i went to autozone and bought myself some ngk v powers and swapped out the ones inside (which where ironically the same plugs)
all the plugs where in excellent condition and looked really really good (all gray, no black on the diode).
regardless i think the culprit may be a severely rusted plug wire leading to cylinder one i discovered whilst changing the plugs.

one other small thing: i noticed that the plug in rightmost cylinder had a weee bit of oil on the threads but none of the others did, is this cause for concern?

What are the best wires? thanks guys