D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By HaydenSI
#328465 Okay so here is my problem. I recently bought my car (december) as a DD and I basically bought the car with a blown motor. I didn't realize it at first but after a thorough cleaning of the engine and owning it for the time that i have I have found it needs A LOT work all around.

I am tight on money until the end of the semester and have no were really to do a motor swap so unfortunately I have to do a small rebuild to make the car hopefully last until I get a house (I'm in a shit apartment now)

I should probably state that I have a D15B Non V-tec.
So heres what I need.

*Piston Rings* While I have heard a number of testimonials on which rings will fit I did not feel safe just throwing some rings in and calling it a day. So after a bunch of digging this is what i came up with ***This is stolen from a thread on another forum but the post is deep in and instead of making everyone Dig I will just copy and paste and link the post at the bottom***

Basically it says this****

That is from the 96-00 factory service manual, if you go to that Singapore importers site they say "Honda P08, P07 piston rings". This got me to thinking... I finally found a 96-00 service manual online and I checked it out. Sure as shit, top ring groove is smaller EXACTLY like the P08 piston.

Now if you read the whole thread you will see I mention measuring my top groove on the P08 piston as .042"-.043". I will mention that for this I used a dial indicator so it was not the most precise measurement (tool may have stopped too close to the edge, etc.) You will see this measurement on the pic above is .0402"-.0406", which puts me pretty much spot on. I could go in and get more exact measurements of the P08 piston with feeler gauges or a micrometer, but I'm pretty sure we are A-OK.

And you can compare the two to see that ring to groove clearances are the same along with ring end gap measurements.

Now for the D15B JDM the part number that it calls for on the rings is 13011-P08-004 (13021, 13031 for oversized). However when comparing the measurements the rings for the D16Y5, D16Y7, D16Y8, D15Z1 are spot on. So if you live where you can only get your hands on USDM Honda parts, order 13011-P07-004 for the standard sized rings. The importer I linked to will cost you about $80.80 if you have it sent SingaporePost... If you need it sooner the dealer should be able to get these same Rikon rings for you for about $20 more. I'm ordering mine tomorrow. Hopefully I can still get them by Saturday and get her running again.

These can be found in any 96-00 SOHC Civic or also the 92-95 VX if you decided to buy them from a parts store and not direct from Honda and need to know make/model.

So I am going to trust this because he did his research and even posted back at the 1 year and 2 year mark to state that his car was still running strong as ever. So this problem is solved. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried these rings. And if so how well did they work for you.

Second is Head Gasket Again I want this to be a seamless and quick rebuild. So which exact Head Gasket is as close to direct fit as the original?

Third would be Rod Bearings followed by Valve Seals

This list may seem scattered and before anyone says "You need more than that to do a rebuild." I know. I have some parts already that my dad managed to snag for me while on a business trip about 3 weeks ago (He spends 4 months out of the year traveling Japan/China) And like I said this is not a full top to bottom rebuild. Just enough for me to baby the car for about a year until I can fix the other problem to prep it for a swap.

Link for the original post where I found the info on the rings
By teal_dx
#328494 Wait, you have a D15B?
D15B

Found in:
1988 Honda CRX 1.5X (rare)
1990 Honda Civic 25XXT Formula (Japanese Market)
Honda Civic Ferio MX (Japanese Market) EG8
1998–2001 Honda Capa GA4 (Japanese Market)
Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 84.5 mm (3.0 in × 3.33 in)
Compression : 9.2:1
Power : 103 hp (77.23 kW, 105 PS) at 6,800 rpm
Torque : 14.1 kgm (133.4 Nm) at 5,200 rpm
Rev limiter : 7,200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control : Twin carburetor PGM-CARB/fuel injected

Just making sure cause people confuse them all the time with D15b7 & D15b8
By HaydenSI
#328509 It's the Real D15B. Which by the way I am starting to hate with a passion.
By teal_dx
#328546 Then I'd say trust the guy in the quoted post above... sounds like he knows his stuff and has done the research. I don't know of another member on here with a non-vtec D15B. (if there are any, they are probably on the other side of the world and don't have to worry about finding parts for it.)
By HaydenSI
#328548 Yeah I am finding this thing hard to find parts for. For the head gasket I'm assuming I can just run with a Y8 gasket and trim if needed. I wonder if anyone on here knows about the bearings though. I'm having a hard time finding measurements for stock D15 bearings to compare and I can't exactly rip the bottoms end apart to measure myself haha