D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By 2strokrsmoke86
#327447 Wish i could find a do it yourself for swapping p29 piston. Actuall installation isnt a prob. But any tips guys?
Couple of questions
Im gonna get a phearable socket and basemap, does that handle all of timing issues.
Do i have to adjust the timing on my dizzy also?
Or is that just if i wanted to see if it starts and idle without my basemap?
Would it be okay to drive to work on the basemap tune till i get it properly tuned. Less then 20 miles a day.
Any other issues i should be aware of? I plan on running 93 octane. I know of someone who street tunes with hondata through a friend of a friend. Hopefully that works out or ill be venturing out to a dyno tune from the speed shop directory a member gave me.
By brandoff88
#327626 well its pretty straight forward, just make sure your rings are gapped properly and that you dont gouge the cylinder walls or crank journals with the rods, take your time and double check everything, as for basemaps and tunes, you running turbo/sc or n/a? if your loading basemaps for a forced indcution setup do not drive untill tuned, theres a member on here who did so just for a week or two and ended up blowing up the motor..n/a you should be fine depending on what mods or parts you upgrade, if i remember correctly pherable should be able to set up a chip with a base map built around your setup, i might be thinking of another company but definitly check that out..as to your timing question, i have been having to do alot of searching on that, theres no way around it, you have to use an inductive/digital timing light and loosen the distributor(just enought to rotate it back and forth without taking it off), then adjust accordingly while double checking the timing marks on the crank pulley...hope this helps you out bro, gl with build :thumb:
By 2strokrsmoke86
#327632 It does thank you. Ive never used one of those guns.ill look into buying one. Im not sure what timing id be looking for. im building a infamous no no d16, n/a. Im having a contest with my father in law(the mechanic helping me) . I help him fix cars in return for teaching me on my honda. But our builds cant cost more then other persons. Limits us to alot of used stuff. His starting from a 69 pontiac lemans with a 350cc. Im starting wirh a z6 i/h/e. But that clears up my question. Buta basemap tune does adjust timing correct? Then you just have to pin point your exact set up with the dizzy im.
Im buying a spare z6 so the whole need to know everything before swap is out of the window. Its a learning experiance for me lol.
Im gonna dive deeper intothis timing issue. When i finally do the p29 piston conversion i will document it and make a d.i.y for this forum. Hopefully save the next noob of days of thread reading of useless shit. Lol. Well maybe ill just install the crower stage2 for now on stock compression. I need to repalce my valve stem seals anyway. Then swap the head to the different block with my p29 in it puuting my desired head gasket inbetween. Heck maybe spend my current piston money on valve springs. . . The gears are always turning and the build is always grooowing lol. . . My last build was a trx 250r 1986 honda. Began by putting a 310 cc jug on it ended by being completely aftermarket besides frame and bottom end cases and gears lol. Three years on that one
By brandoff88
#327788 well a base map tune is essentually what the factory puts on the ecu when the car is built, if you get the proper base map for your motor then it will have all the proper ignition and fuel maps for that motor. essentialy you could alter ignition timing with a base map thats different from your motor, but then youd need to do more than use a timing light to fix it, just get the basemap for your motor so you would only have to use the timing light to dial it in, unless of course you remove the timing belt or seperate the head and block, then you need to make sure all the timing marks are aligned or you run the risk of bending valves....not cheap or easy to fix. when i bought my jdm d15b vtec i already had a chipped p28 ecu with the p08 basemaps for the motor, if i had not had that computer i could have gotten a p28 for a d16z6 but do the fact that my motor is eesentually a d15z1 bottem end with a z6 head (different cam) it would have needed some tweaking to get it running decent, my ignition and fuel maps would be different and the ecu would be constantly trying to correct everything and it would run ok but not optimally. basically what im getting at is if you cant get or dont have to right ecu for the motor, get it chipped and have a base map for you motor put on it, spendy but worth it if you want you motor to be any good or last very long...i hope this clears up any confusion. and like everyone will tell you, do it right, do it once :thumb: