D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By brandoff88
#327077 so i decided to look more into timing since it was something that i never really had to deal with...feel like a dumbass :thumbdown: and i have pretty much figured it out at least i think...i have talked to a few ase cert. mechanics and they all say what im describing when i try to start my car is for sure timing, now these were local people but they dont work for shops or nothing, and i have it down to this... and yes my firing order is good 1-3-4-2
and dizzy is this

EDIT: car is a 93 coupe dx with jdm d15b vtec

top of motor

-------------

1 3
2 4

step one: set crank pully/cam gear to tdc according to d15z1 specs?
or do i set to 16* btc mark on crank pulley

step two: put dizzy on in relation to coupler on cam

step three: spin the motor via crank pully a few times to make sure everything lines up.

setp four: check dizzy rotor rotor in relation to 1st spark plug point

then it should fire correct (it has not started since i swapped motors)

then for advancing or retarding the IGNITION timing i have to jumper the ecu service plug, and use timing light while loosening the dizzy slightly and adjusting accordingly correct?

then do i reset the ecu afteri adjust or just shut off car and remove jumper wire and leave it?

i couldnt find any difinitive answers to the last couple questions, so its now up to you guru's here on civic-eg, thanks in advance guys!
Last edited by brandoff88 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By brandoff88
#327078 after doing some things i found out when i set my crank/cam gear to tdc my rotor is pointing at the #4 spark plug wire

top of motor

------------

1 3
2 4

how my timing is set via cam gear

where the rotor sits at that same positon

am i retarded or did i seriously fuck something up...
By teal_dx
#327079 has the dizzy ever been disassembled?

The key going into the head should be offset so that the dizzy cannot ever be 180° off but if the dizzy has ever been taken apart and re-assembled and the key was turned the wrong way when re-assembled, then the dizzy WILL be 180° off when installed.

I did this once w/o realizing and was stumped. I figured out what I had done after intentionally putting the plug wires backwards on the dizzy cap to test (I was out of ideas by that point) and it fired up.
By brandoff88
#327080 nope not that i know of, im getting so frustrated that im about to get rid of this damn thing, do i even have it set right? as far as the d15z1 marks on the timing cover? and what should my next move be to correct this...im just so confused :x :(
By brandoff88
#327081 hey teal i just though of something, if i didnt get the motor set at tdc on the compression stroke will the cam gear still line up like that or would it be off, my freind said if its not on the compression stroke it can set it 180* out...do you think thats my issue...i didnt really take the plug out to check if it was moving air out...
By brandoff88
#327084 so i double checked and it was set at tdc on the compression storke for no 1, and the dizzy is still at spark plug wire 4...im think somethings up with the dizzy...
By teal_dx
#327085 did the dizzy come with the running motor swap?

For a piece of mind, try reversing the 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 plug wires and see if it fires.

First, (not saying you're a noob but just in case) You know that looking at the motor, the cyl order is 4,3,2,1 going from dizzy to cam gear right?
By brandoff88
#327089 haha yeah i know the order,and the dizzy was the one i pulled off my old motor when i spun a bearing.. i just took the dizzy off rotated the rotor 180 degrees, and put it all back together and it fired up and ran for about 2 sec then died and still just cranks, but it did grumble to life if only for a moment, so i know im on the right track lol. any ideas as to why it would have died?

EDIT: should i have jumpered the ecu before firing it?
By brandoff88
#327091 well i figured it out, the dizzy was 180 off, i just retarded to timng at the dizzy and she fires right up, idles really high and gets spotty after i hit about 3500 so i think im needing to do a timing light adventure smells kinda rich, but im going to reset the ecu and adjust the idle so i can bleed the coolant system, then i just gotta get the brakes done and finsih up the small stuff
By brandoff88
#327101 as title says it rus and stays running, it idles really high and when i give it gas it revs down then back up and stays high, also i have not adjusted ignition timing yet, could that be the problem, also i have yet to get it to operating temp to bleed coolant system, is it safe to run the car long enough to warm it up and bleed coolant, and do i need to take care of teh idle first...im so close to having it running perfect but not quite there yet :thumb:
By brandoff88
#327111 still can fix the idle and i think my motors dribbling coolant from somewhere around the dizzy, its cold and rainy out, so ima call it a day, at least i know she runs, and i remembered i have a launch control limiter in my ecu so if my cars not moving i cant rev past 4k haha, but still the high idle is killin me....anyone have any suggestions?
By brandoff88
#327114 nope no cells at all, no lights, or werid sounds, but i havent tinkered with the throttle cable yet its on the too do list, and i am goin gto replace the thermostat and vc gasket just to make sure i dont have future issues, but its solid at 2500-3000 or about there(no tach)and i give it gas revs up just fine and then it idles down to like 1500-1700 then goes right back up and stays there...its puzzling me so much haha im just glad she runs and stays running and i want to get this taken care of so i can properly set ignition timing..