D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By brandoff88
#326535 so after tinkering this morning i got to looking at my dizzy, and the fucking thing was seized up...no wonder it wouldnt start, well swapped in the old one after re-timing everything for like the 100th time, and tried to start it, huge backfire, got to thinking i probably flooded it with all the cranking i did this morning, but its actually trying to fire but again, i think i flooded it, does anyone know why a dizzy would seize up in the first place? so i know now im getting fuel spark and air, i think if anything it may be down to timing, i have replaced the old gas as well with 93 octane and some heet to make sure no more water in the gas, ill report back in about an hour once it un floods itself....hopefully thats the only issue i gots. getting pretty antsy after a year plus of not hearing it running...
By teal_dx
#326537 The main bearing in dizzys can wear out and eventually seize up. Usually they start to make some noise first & mpg will decrease - I had one even throw a CEL a day or so before it went bad.

I'd triple check firing order first, it's easy to get the wires wrong on the cap.
Almost there... :thumb:
By brandoff88
#326540 hehe, already swapped out for my other dizzy, and i double tripple and quadruple checked the firing order, i got a back fire when i swapped dizzys so i think thats because i flooded it, but it sounds like it wants to fire, thats all good, its either down to timing, or flooding, i pulled the plugs and they were soaked, so i wiped em down and left em out for a bit still wating for the gas to evap, then ima try and fire it :thumb:

EDIT: funny thing is the dizzy that siezed was the one that came with the motor, i just happened to keep my old one which saved my ass....only problem i had with my swap so far, well parts wise.
By brandoff88
#326545 welp just tried to crank it, and got another backfire, and then continues to crank but not fire....im thinking my timing may be slightly off...but i never removed the timing belt, so im fairly sure its my igntion timing...ima try and figure this shit out haha, anyone have any suggestions...and pretty please no firing order comments...i have checked it so many times i could do it passed out drunk lol
By brandoff88
#326547 i dont know about this timing crap, am i suposed to set teh motor to tdc before firing it, and if so thast good and all, but how do i set the dizzy, just amke sure the rotor is before the 1st spark plug wire? im so confused, and how do i set it 16* below tdc, it seems thats supposed to do something....this is turning out to be stressful lol, i think i need to learn how to time a car....
By d-mon
brandoff88 wrote:i dont know about this timing crap, am i suposed to set teh motor to tdc before firing it, and if so thast good and all, but how do i set the dizzy, just amke sure the rotor is before the 1st spark plug wire? im so confused, and how do i set it 16* below tdc, it seems thats supposed to do something....this is turning out to be stressful lol, i think i need to learn how to time a car....

that's what a timing light is for.
use the red mark on the crank pulley.