D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By JDMLYFE
#326351 whats up guys,i know there a thread on this but cant find it, i have loud vlaves and they seem to be getting louder, i havent done an adjustment yet, this motor has 250,000kms, burns oil. is it worth rebuilding? i plan to boost one day but for now i want to go all motor. so should i just build bottim end and upgrades balves?

p.s im a newbie lol
By JDMLYFE
#326401 Anyone?
By teal_dx
#326403 is your motor the JDM D15b vtec or the D15b7? Only double checking because some people call the D15b7 a D15B even though they are very different motors.

If it's the b7, I wouldn't bother building it up. Lack of aftermarket parts and tiny rods of this motor aren't ideal for a build.

(to go all motor on a D means high compression to make any decent power. High compression is what you don't want when going boost unless you have a critical tuner.) So I'd research one or the other and go that route.

First, I'd adjust the valves.

Next, I'd do ao compression test dry, then with oil, to determine if it is your rings or valve seals that are allowing oil past. THen you could decide if you want to rebuild your head or build another head for your NA or Boosted build. Same goes for the block, decide if you want to rebuild yours or pick up another to start building up while putting some more miles on yours (if it isn't burning too much oil)

Your time, budget and mechanical knowledge should all be factors in which way you decide to go. :thumb:
By JDMLYFE
#326409 Thanks teal!

It's a d15b7 and burns mad oil. I think I might just pick up
A Jdm d15 or d16 and build it for
Boost. I'm not looking to push crazy power. Just something fun as my DD