D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Dongee
#325028 Yesterday i was driving home with my Civic EG4 '91' (D15B2) and suddenly the Check Engine Light lits up.
My car drops to 3500rpm and lacks power (after some research this is called LIMP mode if i'm right)

When i came home i read the ecu and it gave me code 8: Top Dead Center
Own research tells me that:

1 - The belt has skipped a tooth?
2 - The distributor is broken?

Last 2 weeks were very cold (freezing) in the Netherlands, could this be the reason? Before the freezing periode i have no problems with my Honda and no CEL

Another thing i found out is, when the engine is cold and i start it, after 3 seconds the Check Engine light comes on and when i drive i feel the lack of power (and cant rev higher than 3500rpm).

But when i start the Engine, wait for 10 minutes (or 5 minutes driving in limp mode) shut the engine off, restart the engine the check engine light will go off and i have a normal driving civic, with al the power (no limp mode).

(*Have cleared the ecu and the code8 error still appears)

So can somebody help me? Point me in the right direction? How can i fix this ?

I'm just a beginner in the car scene so go easy on me :P & Excuse me for my bad english, hope its readable !
Last edited by Dongee on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By familyEGuy23
#325043 I had this same problem with my d15b turns out my timing was off by a few teeth and my distributor was a little off as well. Re-do the timing to OEM specs and you should be good to go :thumb:
By Dongee
#325046 Thanks for the reaction.

Do you know why it can skip? (high reving? Cold weather?)
So i can only fix this by buying a new timing belt, waterpump and tensioner i gues?

[edit]
I was driving and now i have another CEL code 1 - (*Primary) Oxygen sensor. Did my research and measured the sensor with my mulitmeter under the hood and it was fluctuating between 0.1 - 0.9 sometimes even 0.45
Also measured (backprobing method) the oxygen sensor at the ecu and i got the same fluctuating 0.1 - 0.9 and also the 0.45

This means that my oxygen sensor is good right? Some tips? Advices?
By Dongee
#325266 Kick - Bump - Whatever
By bks84
#325275 i do believe a code 1 is for the heated side of an o2 sensor. that said, you might just replace the o2 sensor and see if it goes away.

as for code 8, if you havent yet, id check wiring at distributor. if its good, id replace the distributor. the TDC sensor itself can not be replaced.
By Dongee
#325433 Allright thanks for your reaction.

I will try some stuff tomorrow !
By Dongee
#325577 After checking TDC, the CEL disappeared.
No code 1 / no code 8 anymore, and full power.

Also checked after driving 30minutes and sometimes reving high, and still no problem.

So its all good for now
By Dongee
#327181 Aaannddd.. its back again.

When the temperature was above 4, no problems no CEL.
But now the temperature is cold and instantly i get CEL 1 & 8 Again, so it has to do something with the cold weather.

Somebody knows what?

* its very annoying because in cold weather the car always starts in limp mode, using a lot of fuel... but after 5 minutes restart the car and everything is gone and out of limp mode...

help please
By MG6
#327187 could be a sign your site is failing.. Pretty expensive but not sure.
By Dongee
#327198 My site?!?!
I don't know what that means
By MG6
Dongee wrote:My site?!?!
I don't know what that means

:lol: . Sorry, auto spell check. I meant, your distributor might be going out but not sure