D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By theforce
#324933 Hey fellas,

Long time observer, First time poster here. Quick question, I've got a EG4 (1995) and removed the complete AC system (condenser, evaporator, piping, compressor with bracket). Since then I've noticed the engine revs a bit more 'freely' which I don't mind but its not as smooth as before when idling. Its quite shaky and recently turned off twice when going downhill and turning at a roundabout (although I think this maybe due to me running the car with literally no fuel to see how far I can get). I filled up the car but still shaky, even shakes the shifter.

So, could this be because of removing the AC compressor bracket? as you may know this bracket is bolted to the bottom of the engine and to the chassis. Also when trying to remove the AC belt I turned the PS pump wheel with a wrench an inch or so therefore could this have thrown the timing off a bit (excuse my little knowledge if I sound dumb :) ) I ended up cutting the belt off instead of threading it out.

I read a tread on this site where someone asked if they should keep their AC bracket after they removed their AC system but there was no mention of engine becoming shaky.

Cheers
By teal_dx
#324951 That big bracket that you removed also serves as a lower torque mount that bolts to the chassis (if my memory serves me correct) Those lower torque mounts will help keep the engine from having excessive movement. Does the engine run smooth otherwise and you're sure the vibration is not a miss in the ignition?
By TrailerTrash
teal_dx wrote:That big bracket that you removed also serves as a lower torque mount that bolts to the chassis (if my memory serves me correct) Those lower torque mounts will help keep the engine from having excessive movement.

dang you beat me to it
By theforce
teal_dx wrote:That big bracket that you removed also serves as a lower torque mount that bolts to the chassis (if my memory serves me correct) Those lower torque mounts will help keep the engine from having excessive movement. Does the engine run smooth otherwise and you're sure the vibration is not a miss in the ignition?

Ahh, that makes sense now as the bracket's mounting point to the chassis looked it served more of a purpose than just AC mount.
Before the AC delete when the engine was warm it was so quite that I often thought it wasn't even turned on but now its not so smooth and when hitting bumps or going over them you can feel that side of the car jolt like when your shockers or bushes are dead.
No other changes were made so how can I check if the ignition is missing?

I will buy another bracket and see if it changes anything.

By theforce
#325182 Alright guys, bought another bracket and installed it. For some reason one of the 4 bolts was a tiny bit longer. Anyway, engine is noticeably quieter now and I also noticed that there is a similar mount/bracket on the transmission side as well.
I let the engine warm for a few minutes now before driving off, this has helped with car turning off...bloddy carbs, lol
By Gimme Wafflez
#325203 i may be having the same issue, the previous owner took out the a/c and my motor shakes quite a bit. where did you find a bracket?
By JDMLYFE
Gimme Wafflez wrote:i may be having the same issue, the previous owner took out the a/c and my motor shakes quite a bit. where did you find a bracket?

i thought it was just me. mine does this to after previous owner took out the a/c.
By theforce
Gimme Wafflez wrote:i may be having the same issue, the previous owner took out the a/c and my motor shakes quite a bit. where did you find a bracket?

Could be...I went to a wrecking yard and dismantled another aircon system and removed the compressor bracket. Cost me 9 bucks.

Unfortunately for me this wrecked civic still had its refrigerant and without removing the condenser/compressor (i.e. disconnecting the pipes) I was having a hell of of a time. So after nearly 90mins of banging on about it, I did what any frustrated person would do, remove the condenser hose and run off, :twisted: , until the refrigerant finished. I used a lot of penetrating spray to somewhat loosen the bolts.

Good Luck!
By theforce
#325466 Also before I forget, those guys that have their aircon systems removed including the evaporator, did you replace the evaporator with some other sort of piping or box from a factory non-AC civic? reason being I'm not getting any air through my vents.