D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Gimme Wafflez
#324846 Hello everyone. Quick question..

I recently found out my car was throwing a code 22. Which is the Vtec pressure switch? I'm planning on checking salvage yards for a replacement switch and I'm wondering what years had the switch I need. I've got a 95 ex coupe with the D16z6. Will a 93 or 94 use the same switch?

If I posted in the wrong section let me know or move the thread.

Thanks! :thumb:
By teal_dx
#324856 You are correct, a 93-94 will work, as well as a 92. As long as it is a D16z6. If you can't find a D16Z6, I'M PRETTY SURE THE D16Y8 head uses the same vtec switch (but not vtec solenoid- just want to be sure you weren't thinking of the solenoid)
By Gimme Wafflez
#324896 Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I should just replace the switch or the whole thing. Sorry I'm not better with explaining what parts I'm talking about.
By bks84
#324910 Are you sure you have adequate oil pressure? Have you tested the switch to make sure it works?

do you have an oil pressure gauge?

if yes,
rev to 5000rpm and see if you're above 52psi oil pressure
if so, then check for continuity at the oil pressure switch, if you get continuity, the oil pressure switch is fine, something is wrong with your wiring in that case.
By Gimme Wafflez
#325029 I just got your reply. I already went to the local Pick & Pull and grabbed a vtec solenoid. I got it for next to nothing so if it is a wiring problem then no biggie. I put the new pressure switch in with a new gasket and filter on the solenoid. I made sure to fill my oil to the full line and i drove and its still throwing a 22 code. I'm thinking it could be the wired end that clicks into the switch, is that possible? should i wire up the one i bought today?

I'm definitely going to try those things you suggested. thanks for all the help
By Gimme Wafflez
#325065 update: i think it's fixed

I decided to take the solenoid apart today one more time before deciding to do any rewiring. at one point when i decided to replace the solenoid gasket i took it apart and the gasket was hard and brittle and the guy who owned the car before decided he would rather use that RTV sealant crap instead of just replacing the gasket, which looked like it seeped into all the parts which wasnt aloowing that spring part to move freely. I cleaned that up but i was still getting a code 22. When i took the cover off again today i noticed another chunk of that sealant in the solenoid so i cleaned it out even more. this time the cover was a lot more springy and a little tougher to bolt back down (which i assumed was a good thing). I test drove the car taking it above 5,000 rpm's, which would usually throw the CEL, and nothing came on this time. could that bit of RTV been causing it to throw a code? seemed too good to be true. i hope the CEL stays off.

thanks again