D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By irJames
#323690 Hey so I got myself a restoration EG8 1.5 LSI andi have a problem with the engine...

I got the car as a non runner went to my work shop and connected a new battery and TADA it started after giving the starter motor a smash or two.

Ive Changed the Starter motor and it started fine thought wow ive fixed it but now It just dont want to turn over even with Jump leads. Some times it backfires other times theres some kind of pop in the engine bay, and i cant figure out what it could be... any ideas

Also if i manage to get it started as soon as i put my foot on the accelerator it dies ...

Many thanks

James
By Apexracing
#323712 The starter could be grounding out on its self, the hot wire connects to a terminal on the starter, but he housing is ground. So make sure the plastic insulator is still in one piece :thumb:
By irJames
#323964 Discovered that there is a EK Starter motor on the car, With some part drilled out causing it to short out on whatever, will change the starter back to the old one tomorrow, also got my money back from the original repair garage who "fixed it", thanks for the help :)
By Apexracing
irJames wrote:Discovered that there is a EK Starter motor on the car, With some part drilled out causing it to short out on whatever, will change the starter back to the old one tomorrow, also got my money back from the original repair garage who "fixed it", thanks for the help :)

Any time :thumb:
By irJames
#323988 "£$£^$£$£
Did it again after 3 hours of being fine >:(

but I am going to prefome the CEL trick will get back to yu once im done :)
Last edited by irJames on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Apexracing
irJames wrote:"£$£^$£$£
Did it again after 3 hours of being fine >:(

got to be a ground, any way to record it?
By irJames
#323990 Yeah give me a hour orso and ill charge up my Phone :)
By irJames
#324432 Sorry for the late Reply had some trouble with my internet connection.
So i could'nt get a recording of my car doing what it used to do as it hasnt done it yet.
I tried to see if there was anything wrong via the ECU but it wouldnt emit any codes so I guess thats okay.
Checked the timimg too and thats fine .
Today its freezing outside and my car has no power atall :L lol so im gussing it has to be one of the Earth Connections.
Any ideas if its not those.

Many thanks
By irJames
#325556 Problem still persists, changed the battery now and have it running for about 10/15 minutes until I put my foot on the accelerator then it cuts out.
ECU not showing any codes.
Timings fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxM0bQShzE

is now doing this -.-
By teal_dx
#325563 Did it just start doing this one day or was it like then when you got the car? Are there any modifications done to the car? Does it look like anyone was in the wiring?