D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By gijoe985
#323029 I am going to try installing a circulating coolant heater into my VX. Help with cold starts. It's 25 degrees every morning when I leave and I've heard of guys who can get the engine up to full temp with their heaters...

Anyway, there is a tutorial on this page -Here

This guy makes it sound like you have to have the input coming from the block plug, but the instructions say that the radiator drain plug is an acceptable alternative. I've seen another guy just use the lower radiator hose. If I will be taking fluid from the radiator, and them pumping it into the heater core inlet line, it would then circulate back to the block. Would that not work?
By TrailerTrash
#323051 thats kinda nifty.

if the car gets up to operating tempature with this heater the thermostat would be open and there would be no need for that welded bung. you could just put it inline at any point in any coolant hose right? just plug it in as soon as u shut the car off and presto the car stays at operating tempature all night

the lower radiator hose is where the thermostat is. so if you use the lower radiator hose your going to be pumping it into the radiator but its not going to be able to flow in a loop. on the lower hose you can put it pumping toward the block but the thermostat is going to stop it and if u put it pumping the other way i dont think it would circulate the entire way... im confusing myself lol

i doubt you could get a leak free fitting attatched to the radiator drain valve because its plastic and all.

you could just get one of those block heaters or one of those oil pan heaters.

honestly its been below 20 every night in my area for almost a week and i have no problems at all with my car at 6am. warming up quicker would be kinda nice but its not a problem

if the car gets up to operating tempature with this heater the thermostat would be open and there would be no need for that welded bung. you could just put it inline at any point in any coolant hose right?
By gijoe985
#323061 "I am curious about the lower radiator drain plug as a legit location to instal the input for the heater. The heater instructions say it is, so I am just trying to imagine the flow of coolant to make sure it goes full circle.

Out drain plug > through block heater > Into heater core > back to engine > out upper radiator hose > into radiator > back to drain plug? Sounds right to me. "

That's part of a post I made on the site with the tutorial. The kit comes with a metal threaded attachment that should thread right in to where the petcock valve is. It would take it OUT of there and IN to the heater core. Then after going through the block it would come back through the upper radiator hose?

Though I guess his way is better because you know that it is draining most the coolant in the block? Either way, I got the 1500w version which is designed for trucks. So I don't think I'll have to run it long. And I'm hoping on my VX that it will greatly improve my gas mileage.