D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By crazy-88
#322650 what's going on guys.
have a qwik question. where is the best place to hook up the sending unit for a water temp gauge? I'm using a sport comp autometer gauge. and I'm sure it has standard thread.

what have u guys done as far as location and thread issues?
By rustyrex
#322655 Take out the factory sending unit and use that spot. I have the same gauge and called autometer when I installed mine. The autometer gauge is calibrated for their sending unit, you can use the autometer sending unit to run the factory gauge as well. I cut off the factory bullet connector and soldered a ring terminal on. It's worked perfectly for about a year.
By TrailerTrash
#322692 there are two tempature sensors on the D series. one is the sending unit for the ECU and the other is the sending unit for the tempature gauge. pretty sure the lower one only has one wire and that is the gauge cluster one
By rustyrex
#322697 ^^^ correct
By crazy-88
#322701 thnx for the replys guys. So the Sending unit on the thermostat housing is not the sender I should replace right? I'm gonna have to hunt down the other one and see where it is.
By rustyrex
#322702 It's right under the dizzy. It has a single wire. The autometer screws directly in there. I will warn you. Do not be surprised if your gauge doesn't work at first. I had to send them my original receipt and everything that came in the box. They said the sending units in some boxes were not calibrated correctly.
By crazy-88
rustyrex wrote:It's right under the dizzy. It has a single wire. The autometer screws directly in there. I will warn you. Do not be surprised if your gauge doesn't work at first. I had to send them my original receipt and everything that came in the box. They said the sending units in some boxes were not calibrated correctly.

cool. I always thought that was a oil related sensor. that wire had ripped on me and I repaired it like new, now I guess I have to solder a ring terminal like stated b4.
and as far as the autometer sender, it's not new, I had it on a small block Chevy, and worked good. so if it dosent work, it's gonna b something else.

once again. thnx for all the great info.