D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By couch_c
#322512 So I've done hours and hours of research on the jdm stage 3 d15b. There's lots of good info out there but most of the forums have questions that never gets answered. Now I've heard of 2 people so far who are going boost with it, but what I don't understand is how would you keep the 3 stage vtec WITH boost. I know the pj2 ecu can't be chipped, and that most people who do have the d15b don't even have the 3 stage working on it, and driven on 2 stage p28. Maybe a standalone system will work I"m not sure but I've been also hearing about using a p72 to work the 3 stage vtec and also allow boost. I think suspendedhatch dropped a d15b, it'd be great if he could clear this up for me.
By couch_c
#322523 Do you know if he's running obd2? I'm not too familiar with running standalone ecus and how that would affect emissions and smog.
By couch_c
#322530 Thanks for the good info teal, I thought he boosted it but I might've been wrong.
By suspendedHatch
#322554 Whether its boosted or not has nothing to do with VTEC operation.

The simplest solution is to wire the first VTEC solenoid to ignition power and wire the second as normal VTEC. As soon as you turn the key on, it will be in 16 valve mode.

Get it tuned ON A DYNO. There's a lot of reluctance in this community for whatever reason. There's no alternative.
By couch_c
#322798 I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I've came up with that same idea but if I was only running 2 stage it would be either vtec, or vtec e, If you were to wire both vtec and vtec e you're saying that one vtec will always be on? I thought if I went that direction it'll always be running 12 valves until vtec. So you're running only 2 stage? I was thinking a stand alone would be able to allow me to run all 3 stages.