D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By blk92hb
#322346 when i pulled mine i just unbolted the trans mount and used the stud on the trans to bolt down the chain. i did the same on the driver side with the left mount braket on the block.
By TrailerTrash
blk92hb wrote:when i pulled mine i just unbolted the trans mount and used the stud on the trans to bolt down the chain. i did the same on the driver side with the left mount braket on the block.

this is a good way.

if you are taking out just the engine you can use the mount on the drivers side and put a tranny bolt through the other end of the chain and thread it into the block
By scrfc389
#322353 What if im pulling it out with the trans
By rustyrex
#322354 Right next to the intake manifold on the drivers side the is a threaded hole. A bolt with a 12mm head fit there, the #1 cylinder top exhaust manifold bolt, on the trans the metal bracket that supports the lower radiator hose, and the last point is the top bolt that hold the starter on. I have always used these spot to take my d series out. It gives you the most balance and leverage.
By HeikDiesel
#322373 I always just drop the engine out the bottom. Less hassle. Small pallet and two floor jacks and you're done
By rustyrex
#322379 I've never dropped the engine through the bottom but that seems like it would be a hell of a lot more work. Everyone says its quicker and less hassle. How? Don't you have the basically remove the entire front suspension and steering?
By HeikDiesel
#322383 No you don't. If you go through the top you have to tilt the engine so that it doesn't hit the frame rails. If you have a load leveler and/or good hoist its really easy. Otherwise I just jack the car up really high and remove the last few bolts and it just drops out the bottom. No worries of scratching paint and is much easier to do with just one person.
By rustyrex
#322384 I have a load leveled and just looking at it I assumed it was easier going up. I might have to try dropping the motor. I could use my lift to raise the car lol
By HeikDiesel
#322385 That's what I use. No suspension or steering needs to come out besides axles of course. But I'd much rather do that, especially with fresh paint.
By scrfc389
#322410 Well I Don't have fresh paint so I dont have to worry about scratching the car. Also after getting my engine in I want that single cam to have balls any suggestions?
By HeikDiesel
#322429 Even if you have a rust bucket I wouldn't want to scratch my car if I didn't have to. That's just me though....

What are your power goals
By bradleyg
#322463 I dropped my gsr through the bottom today and it was super easy. Just make sure all your hoses/vacuum lines/harness is unplugged before you do anything else. Put the car up on the lift undo the shift linkage, drain coolant and trans, pull the axles and then unbolt the bolts on the rear mount that you can reach. Go back down and unbolt the rest of the rear mount. Put a dolley under the engine and let the engine sit on it. Unbolt the side mounts and go up with the lift slowly to make sure you don't hit the engine on anything. As long as everything was disconnected properly you should have your engine out of the car on a dolley.
By rustyrex
#322475 That is exactly what involved when I take mine out by going up. I have a disease with my spine so I think I might stick with just lift the motor up.
By couch_c
#322477 You guys make it sound so easy, maybe I should save my money from renting a hoist and use jacks. So how hard is it to line it up to install the engine?