D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By FG2_Andrew
couch_c wrote:You guys make it sound so easy, maybe I should save my money from renting a hoist and use jacks. So how hard is it to line it up to install the engine?

Best to have a buddy. Even someone who is not mechanically sound.. I used 2 logs, standard floor jack, a little patience and it was done. You will also need you buddy to help balance the engine on the jack.

Basically, get it close to level as close to the mounts as possible, have your buddy keep it level while you thread the d side bolts. Get it started but don't torque it down all the way, focus on the trans mount first.. Get it threaded up finger tight, readjust to the d side, back out the bolts and reshoot them. Get them slightly beyond hand tight. Finish off by torquing them down all the way.

It's essentially the same process as using a lift but you don't have to rent/borrow/buy a lift. Any money saved is a good idea. My dad and I both performed our first swap on my car.. All in all, was a weekend job from noon to nine. Take your time, label things, and and don't hesitate to come and ask questions!

Good luck!!!!
By HeikDiesel
#322487 I start all my bolts a few turns. Never tighten anything especially if you are using hard mounts. It'll suck to get everything lined up. Then I just go back over and torque everything up.
By scrfc389
#322553 My power goal is not like getting 500hp although that would be awesome but I wouldn't mind getting like 250 or so
By HeikDiesel
#322560 You can get 250 wheel pretty easily out of a mild build and decent turbo setup. I'd say for that I'd stick with the single cam unless you find a smoking deal on a DOHC swap