D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By gijoe985
#321762 So, I got a code 22 on my vx. I think I had the same code a few months back, but it might have been a 21... Vtec either way. That time I just took it off and cleaned it up and it was good.

So, on my 80 mile drive home, my light came on twice. Both times going up a small moutnain pass. I kill the motor on the way down and it cleared. Also, found out that I have been low on oil. I added over a quart and also threw in a can of engine restore. I've got 240k on my motor, so I thought it might help regain some lost compression.

Being that this is an oil pressure activated switch, could the resins in the engine restore be messing with it?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks...
By gijoe985
teal_dx wrote:low oil pressure will cause vtec not to work so sounds like you fixed the problem by adding oil :thumb:

well, ironically the light didn't come on until after I added the oil.

We'll see if it comes on again...
By gijoe985
#322043 Well, it is still setting the check engine light on when I go up the mountain passes, or any other time that I have it floored for a long time.
By gijoe985
#322086 Does anyone know the parameters That would set off a code 22? Is it only low pressure? Or could high pressure also set of the code?
By Apexracing
gijoe985 wrote:Does anyone know the parameters That would set off a code 22? Is it only low pressure? Or could high pressure also set of the code?

A few questions here, are you due for an oil change? If so jack the car up in a manner that gets the most oil out of the pan, I usually run a quart of fresh oil down through the top till it comes out the drain pan clean. But steep hills and tight corners can cause the oil to slosh around, and if its low enough the light will trip. Also do you have the capability drop the oil pan after draining your old oil out. You will need a new oil pan gasket, but anyways check the metal mesh screen on the bottom of the oil pickup for the oil pump. It could be getting plugged potentially.
By gijoe985
#322165 I cam check the pan sometime soon...

My main puzzlement was that this started happening AFTER I added oil. The car burns oil. 225k on engine. So I was a quart and a half low. (New car, so the burning oil was quicker than expected. I also drive 160 miles a day...) I added a can of engine restore and a little bit more oil until full. Oil change is not due for a little while.

So, I like the plugged oil pump screen theory. I keep getting told that it is from low oil, bit like I said, this started after I filled. Since it started a few days ago, it has become less frequent. In fact, today it didn't go off at all on my way to work.

My original "X Factor" was that I used engine restore on a VTEC engine, which I have never done before. Wasn't sure of that could be the problem. I know that it is ba for turbos because of the resin baking.

Thanks again. Any more ideas are welcome. I'll just keep monitoring it for now.
By gijoe985
#322756 SO...

Installed an oil pressure gauge and changed my oil. No engine light since, but I think my oil pressure is a bit high.

Now, to add to my previous story. When I topped of my oil and aded a can of engine restore a while back, the engine started a slight bit rough and then cleared up after a few seconds. I am wondering if some sludge or something freed itself and got stuck somewhere.

With the new gauge installed, I am getting about 65-70psi cruising, maybe higher. I get 85psi WOT. The manual says 50psi @3000. I am way over that. It does go down to 30psi at idle, but I think it is running high.

Now, as far as code 22 and VTEC-E is concerned... Could high oil pressure make VTEC engage prematurely? I am not familiar with what inputs trigger VTEC. Oil pressure? RPM? Combination?