D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By jadeydrag0117
#321750 FYI im a mechanic noob, have just started learning last year ..taking apart my car and putting things back together, installing new parts and etc. , found out my passenger side cv boot is torn recently so being a noob i never have done this b4 and i have some questions before i get started.

First im debating whether or not to replace to whole axle cause it would be easier or just the cv boot.
what should i do? i'm definitely not going to use split cv boot , i cant even imagine the difficulty of putting the sucker on glueing and whatever. + i only heard bad reviews

i think replacing axle would be easier , but the problem is i dont want to spend that much and the cheapest i found is autozone axle for $60 so if i replace the axle it will prob be with this cheap old one which i rather not have on my car... lol
any reviews on these cheap axles??

last question is where is the drain plug for my tranny? and do i even need to drain before i get the axle out?...

im following this DIY >>>
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-foru ... ement.html

thanks if anybody has any advice or insight let me know, cause it will help me out.
By jadeydrag0117
teal_dx wrote:Autozone axles are lifetime warranty :thumb: Might as well do the whole axle.
Drain plug for the tranny is on the passenger side. :thumb:

lol so everytime they break i can go back to them?,, hmm well i guess the down side to that is i will have replace them myself everytime they break
By JohnRM
#321767 I did both driver and passenger axle replacement. I didn't need to drain out the transmission fluid at all; It was barely anything that came out. IF anything, you would have to add transmission fluid after replacing the axles.
By HeikDiesel
jadeydrag0117 wrote:lol so everytime they break i can go back to them?,, hmm well i guess the down side to that is i will have replace them myself everytime they break

You aren't making enough power to worry about it. Even if you have issues it should take less than a hour to change an axle with basic hand tools.
By brandoff88
#321863 i just put my axles in and im going to tell you something that saved me loads of aggrivation and time, when your putting the axles in, and they dont want to seat in the wheel hub, just use a little bit of force to expose the threads and then use a 32 mm socket and your NEW axle nut to start threading it and it should pull it all the way through and then just finish tourqing it down and stake the nut :thumb: