D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By rrait
#321513 Hi guys,

i've been thinking that i should swap my eninge in my EG. Dont wanna go with K series.

I was thinking about something different.

Like:
D16W7
D17A1
D17A6
D17A2

Has anyone seen swap like this? What will be the problems?

U can also recommend some other cool ideas. Like D16 with D17. But in mixed components versions - they should work and be reliable. Also a thread with someone actually doing it, would be great!

So, keep the ideas coming. :thumb:

*PS - cheaper the better. :D
By teal_dx
Like D16 with D17. But in mixed components versions -

Yes, you are referring to the D16/D17 stroker:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase ... build.html

http://www.onecamonly.com/showthread.php?t=5048
By rrait
teal_dx wrote:
Like D16 with D17. But in mixed components versions -

Yes, you are referring to the D16/D17 stroker:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase ... build.html

http://www.onecamonly.com/showthread.php?t=5048

Thats good. But are there any other fun swaps? Doesnt have to be D nor mixed version.
By chrono404
teal_dx wrote:What is your power goal, main use of the car, mechanical ability and budget? The sky is the limit :thumb:

x2

If your looking for an auto X or track car a Supercharged Stroker D16/d17 would be cool.

One of my faverite oddball swaps are called 'G' Series swaps. You take an H Series head (DOHC, or DOHC VTEC) and put it on a F Series block They love boost are super cheap to put together. If you google G22 or G23 swaps you can find multiple builds.

I am thinking about putting together a H23 head on a F22 or F23 block and put it my dad's odyssey. Super cheap torquy engine thats begging for boost. The F23 blocks will also take any K20 piston. Therefore you can put in some high comp K pistons, and make an inexpensive powerful build that will can put some K Series guys away.

however if you go F/H/"G" series then you will have to do some tweeks to your suspension as the engine will sit farther ahead of your strut towers then a B, D or K Series will.
By rrait
chrono404 wrote:
teal_dx wrote:What is your power goal, main use of the car, mechanical ability and budget? The sky is the limit :thumb:

x2

If your looking for an auto X or track car a Supercharged Stroker D16/d17 would be cool.

One of my faverite oddball swaps are called 'G' Series swaps. You take an H Series head (DOHC, or DOHC VTEC) and put it on a F Series block They love boost are super cheap to put together. If you google G22 or G23 swaps you can find multiple builds.

I am thinking about putting together a H23 head on a F22 or F23 block and put it my dad's odyssey. Super cheap torquy engine thats begging for boost. The F23 blocks will also take any K20 piston. Therefore you can put in some high comp K pistons, and make an inexpensive powerful build that will can put some K Series guys away.

however if you go F/H/"G" series then you will have to do some tweeks to your suspension as the engine will sit farther ahead of your strut towers then a B, D or K Series will.

Well,

No power goal - more the better. but around 200hp would be nice.

Use of car - sunday-driver. Mostly going to wait me in the garage.

mechanical ability - hard to answer. done some swaps and fixing.

budget - well, there is no limit, as this is going to be long term build.

And problem is that most of the engines u guys have in US for few bucks are expensive here coz they are rare here.

What i dont want to do is welding and cutting the chassis. minor welds are OK.
By chrono404
#321795 not sure what engines you have to choose from.

Option 1: G22/G23 build
The Honda Accord from 1990 to 2002 has F22A to F23's in them. they have the block you would want to get for a hybrid build. the Prelude came in 2.3l DOHC non-vtec setup as well as a 2.2 DOHC VTEC setup.

Going with the vtec route would be much hard as you need to change water pumps and oil pumps and that will add much more complexity to your build.

Staying with a F23 block, stock pistons and a H23 dohc non vtec head will give you lots of torque. I dont remember peak power numbers however will be less then 200hp. High comp pistons and a good tune could get you there though.

You would use Civic H22 mounts for this swap so it would be a bolt in affair. Before buying mounts this could be done for less then $500 USD in the united states. You will need to use junkyard parts and look around but it can be done.

Option 2: F22/ F22 turbo
F22s are super cheap in the US. I can get a complete running F22 right now for $80 from my local junkyard.

If you take an F22(1990-1993) non-vtec and its 5 speed transmission, and shift linkage. custom mounts or order the hassport H22 mounts and make axles using DA(1990-1993 integra) axles and outer hubs with 90-93 inner hubs(that plug into tranny) then bolt on a turbo you will have a inexpensive fast setup.

The most expesive part will be the mounts or turbo parts. however junkyard turbos are easy enough to find in the United states, not sure in estonia. a Wrecked WRX, evo or modded car while not super common are not unheard of.

The reason this makes a good setup would be its cheap, as well as having loads of torque and are low compression with lots of breathing room. A cam and high comp pistons plus shorter gears such as from an h22 transmission would make a pretty quick car. You could also put on an inexpensive turbo setup and make good power with this as well. the F22 non-vtec head is one of the best flowing heads honda made once you put a good cam in it. Unlike the h22 the f blocks are iron walled and love boost.

With forged rods and the right turbo setup 400+ hp is easy on an f22.
___
Option 3: D16 minime/D17 Stroker

A D16a6 (SOHC non-vtec) came out of our 1988-1991 Civic EX's(top trim sedan) and Si hatch backs(sportiest hatch we had in those years) combined with a SOHC vtec head. This will be a solid platform that a good cam can get some power out of. You will want a Cam or nitrous to get your 200 hp goal.

A D17 Stroker in a D16 block(must be d16, can not be d15. D16's have the higher deck height needed.) is another good option. Basically you take a D17 Crank, rods and pistons out of a D17 and put it into a D16. combine this with a SOHC VTEC head, a minor regrind on your cam and you will be close to your goal. their is quite a these builds availble online to read. The biggest noted fact i saw in 5-10 mins looking was that the commented on how much better it pulled due to the extra displacement.
__
Option 4: B18b/B20b swap
While being short of your 200hp goal a B18B (94-01 acura integra) plus a b16 or b18c(GSR Integra or SiR-G Integra) transmission will be pretty fast. A turbo or nitrous will easily get you to the 200 hp mark. one of members alldatjuice ran lots of 13 second 1/4 mile(1320 ft, 402.3meters) drag strip runs on this with a basic mitusbishi turbo.

I had a slighty bored out version called the b20(from a Honda CR-V Suv) and a b16 transmission in my delsol and it was pretty fast. It easily out ran my friends H22A/LSD H22 Transmission Accord, my friends turbo d15 civic, my friends so called built gsr, as well as a Legit ITR swap into a EK. my engine was bone stock and had no problems with any of the cars mentioned above. with a b16 or b18c transmission its a very fast setup. however in america this would be the most expensive option so far.

It will be very easy to install this into our civics. you would just use the Integra axles and mounts.

___

Those are what i can think of at this time.

I look forward to what other people chime in with as well as where you go with this build.

This is a handy tool for seeing what honda parts fit together, and what their effective compression ratio would be. Its pretty handy and I recommend looking at it when you plan on your build.

Edit da integras stopped in 1993 dc's started in 94 :thumb: