D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By poke410
#320740 Hey guys in a bit of a pickle,

my ej1 used to occasionally hunt for idle (once or twice a week at most, and it would go away after driving for a min or two)
so i had the good idea to take off the throttle body and idle valve and clean them up as well as tighten the valve in the hopes of ending the problem
as soon as i had everything back together and i started the engine it started hunting IMMEDIATlY, and much much worse than before, so i drove around until the engine was hot then opened up the radiator bleed valve hoping it was just symptoms of excessive air in the cooling system (no air came out strangely considering i replaced a hose id torn) yet the problem persists
so what could it be?
on a side note i noticed the throttle body gasket was in dire conditions (tears, tears everywhere) but i didn't replace it and probably aggravated the problem by taking it apart
so where do you guys think my problem lies?
thanks [/code]
By teal_dx
#320751 I would get a new throttle body gasket and try bleeding the coolant again. have some keep the rpm at 2k with the rad cap off and run the heat to be sure all the coolant is flowing. Keep topping it off when it gets low. THen when you're all done getting the air pockets out, fill the overflow tank to the line.
By poke410
#320765 alright will do

on a side note when i took out the valve i unscrewed the white cap, drowned it in carb cleaner, but i couldn't get it screwed back in completely, i'm talking maybe half to a quarter turn left until no idle, so i dunno if that's relevant...
By Apexracing
poke410 wrote:alright will do

on a side note when i took out the valve i unscrewed the white cap, drowned it in carb cleaner, but i couldn't get it screwed back in completely, i'm talking maybe half to a quarter turn left until no idle, so i dunno if that's relevant...

Throttle body gasket, replace it. Any air vacuum leak will cause idle surge. Replace the gasket with a new one and your problem should go away, provided all the other gaskets are good.
By poke410
#320808 allright ordering a new gasket now

do you guys think that not tightening the valve 100% changed anything?
sorry if i seem prying, im just worried