D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By rustyrex
#320598 I went to get my 2000 lx e checked today. Well I got a CEL on and its a code 1. When the dude hooked it up to the sniffer in failed almost immediately. I have high hydrocarbons and extremely, extremely high N.O. gas. I replaced the. Down stream O2 sensor about a month ago and noticed the cat looked munched. Does anyone have ideas to pass echeck?I am think if I do the manifold and converter along with a new up stream O2 sensor that would fix it.But I'm not sure
By Apexracing
#320604 what kind of miles do you have? Your manifold should be fine.
By rustyrex
#320612 174xxx. The manifold is fine but the cat and manifold are 1 piece.
By Apexracing
rustyrex wrote:174xxx. The manifold is fine but the cat and manifold are 1 piece.

Ah sorry to hear that those are pricey
By rustyrex
#320614 I actually found a brand new one for $188 I'm stoked on that lol
By Apexracing
rustyrex wrote:I actually found a brand new one for $188 I'm stoked on that lol

wow whos it made by?
By Apexracing
rustyrex wrote:Dorman. I found it on www.rockauto.com

i've boughten stuff from there before. But i would recommend walker or bosal for after market cat's.
By teal_dx
#320671 one big difference that i found is to get the engine and exhaust hot before doing the test. I failed because the car was barely warming up (I live 2 miles from a station).
The worker said to beat on it first and it should pass. So I took back roads there at 55 mph in 3rd and 4th gear - passed no problem without changing anything on the car.
By rustyrex
#320672 It was hot. When I fixed a exhaust leak and the down stream O2 sensor last month I noticed the cat looked real odd. Almost like the ceiling of a cave. Kind melted and droopy.
By teal_dx
#320676 Wait, just noticed this was for a 2000 civic which is obd2. They will fail automatically with a cel but they only put them on the scanner, Not the Dyno.
What is the code 1 for? Fix that and youll be good - they should not even have put it on the Dyno.
By rustyrex
#320679 They checked it with the scanner and the obd wasn't ready yet. I reset the ecu like 10 minutes before I went. Once it came up that it wasn't ready they put it on the rollers. Once a 96 or newer car fails the roller test it can not be tested with the scanner until it passes the roller. Code 1 says the voltage is either too high or too low for the primary O2 sensor.
By teal_dx
#320698 I'd try replacing the upper o2 sensor and yeah, they know if you reset it right before you come in. You'll have to drive like 20 miles or omething like that before getting it tested. :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#320710 You repeatedly stated the cat converter is fried. Is it not obvious to replace that?

The bad O2 sensor will cause you to run rich or lean, either of which will destroy your cat converter given enough time.