D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Flux
#318655 I bought a 93 coupe a week ago, it has a d15b it was slammed, and the day after I bought it, I was going over to my friends to get it up off the ground a little.
Anyway, I cracked my oil pan on his road.
So I left it there and we made a y8 oil pan fit.
I was driving home and it died.
Started up and died again.

Now it just cranks.
I've checked main relay, gets spark, fuel, has compression...
Im stumped.
Could it be timing?
Or would using the wrong pan do this?
It has the oil light on, cause I didn't have a y8 pick up to go with the pan.
It does get oil to the head though.
I've never had a car not start just cause an oil light though.
Im about to just sell it.
Still have no car and im out 2700...

Thanks everyone.
By teal_dx
#318665 Timing is the only thing that makes sense since everything else is there. I don't see how timing would have changed from swapping out oil pans though. :?
I've had weird things happen after cars have sat before. I had a 96 civic that was cranking and doing nothing so I cranked it for like 20 secs and it started to sputter a little. It kept sputtering a little more and after like 40 seconds of cranking, it fired up. It may be time for a general tune up.

If the oil light is staying on, it is because the oil pressure sensor is not reading. It should shut off once the engine starts though. Did you add extra oil due to the bigger pan?
By onibakagaijin
#318667 Make sure your distributor isn't jacked. If the dist. cap isn't properly secured you could have and issue or if some wires are loose. Seen it happen before. Car gets spark but everything is not lining up/hooked up properly enough to cause a misfire and thus won't start. Also, if the pickup isn't properly oiling the engine it may be killing itself so you dont kill the engine. I know theres newer cars that will do this but not sure about a 93. Also, when you say made it fit..is the oil pan sealed properly? Could be an issue also.
By Flux
#318673 Teal:
Yeah, I am completely stumped.
Ill be out there at the shop doing more tomorrow, just been busy.
First thing will be timing...
But yeah, I needed one asap, so I went on CL and bought a y8 pan with gasket for $25.
Took mine off, not knowing at the time a d15b is closest to a z6...
Found out that wed have to drill out the 2 holes that fit to the oil pump to make it fit. Did all that, no leaks. But the oil light is on constantly. Im sure its from the pick up. I plan on DD'ing this thing, I just need it at my house to work on it. I will change the pan or pickup to match each other eventually, I want to get that light off...

How much play should be in the timing belt?
Mine has probly more than a 1/2 inch play straight down the front...

Oni:
I just put a new distributor on yesterday.
I was thinking it'd fire right up.
No dice though.
Im only running that pan until i can source parts to make it all work right, I know its horrible for it, but the head is getting oil so it should make it a short trip.
I got it halfway home and it died once.
I thought it was me, so I started it back up, and it had a really low rpm.
Drove it up the street, died again at the stop sign suddenly. Now it just cranks.

So far, I know for sure,
-Gets spark
-Main relay is good
-Gets fuel (wont even start with starting fluid)
-compression, L to R 138, 145, 160, 160

I was messing with ignition timing by moving the distributor and when I have it close to the front it tries so hard to start.
By Flux
#318690 I put it on with the cap off, with the rotor on #1.

Edit:
Fixed, timing skipped a few teeth.
Still selling it though...
Ill post a CL ad for it on here so you guys can see it.
Hopefully get into another eg, but well see.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Edit:
CL link.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/3367951565.html

Just so you guys know what she looked like lol[/url]