D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By dylan0123
#318527 I have a '92 hatch with a D16A6 block, D16Z6 head. Has a P05 Ecu. The car ran great when I shut it down and an hour later I went to fire it up and it would turn over but not fire.

My fuel pump doesn't turn on with the key before the motor turns over. So I switched out the 7-pin relay under the steering collumn, under the dash by the fush panel. I'm not getting any spark so i swapped out the spark igniter inside the distributor with a working one and the car tried to fire so I used a jumper wire to bypass the relay for the fuel pump and it started up but while it was running I pulled the jumper wire out and the car died because the fuel pump wasn't on. I repeated the same process of jumping the wire and it won't start at all.

What is it going to take to make this thing run?

Thanks for the help.
By bigJOE671
dylan0123 wrote:I have a '92 hatch with a D16A6 block, D16Z6 head. Has a P05 Ecu. The car ran great when I shut it down and an hour later I went to fire it up and it would turn over but not fire.

My fuel pump doesn't turn on with the key before the motor turns over. So I switched out the 7-pin relay under the steering collumn, under the dash by the fush panel. I'm not getting any spark so i swapped out the spark igniter inside the distributor with a working one and the car tried to fire so I used a jumper wire to bypass the relay for the fuel pump and it started up but while it was running I pulled the jumper wire out and the car died because the fuel pump wasn't on. I repeated the same process of jumping the wire and it won't start at all.

What is it going to take to make this thing run?

Thanks for the help.

No start Diagnostics
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=24927

How a main relay works
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrela ... index.html

Testing a Main relay
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... e_5581.jpg

Resolder main relay
http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

If its not any of those it may be wiring, blown fuses, or just some random problem.
By dylan0123
#318712 well we cleaned all the ground contact points and tried starting the car, got nothing, so we ran a wire directly from the contact point on the thermostat housing to the negative terminal of the battery and the car fired right up! Then my friend drove it 15 minutes, and the car died while going highway speeds.

So we checked the ground again, and the ground is good, but the car won't start, so it must be a different problem, but we're still not getting spark again.

Got the civic back to the shop, checked the main relay and it's good, and we also tried a different one, still nothing (I guess the relay only controls the fuel pump and injectors anyway)

Checked all the fuses and they're good. checked spark plugs and wires (good), connections in distributor cap are good, rotor is touching the contacts, checked the ohms on the ignitor and it's good, also checked the ICM and it had voltage, timing is all good because it was running fine before it just shut off. Checked for voltage continuity in the black/yellow wire on the distributor and it's fine.

We checked the wiring on the connectors going into the ecu and b1, b2, b12, b13, b14, b15, b16, d21 & d22 are not grounded, so we spliced into all of them and ran them to a ground and it just overrode the relay and did nothing, car still didn't start.

What should we do about the ecu wires? I know some are logic grounds which means they don't go to the chassis, but we don't know where they go after they come thru the firewall and go through one plug and out the other (the color of the wires change, wtf?)

We've put over 20 hours into this car since monday and still don't have a clue what to do.

Thanks for the help, I just want to get this dang thing running so we can rally the living crap out of it! :)
By dylan0123
#319921 car died again after just a few miles, couldn't figure it out for almost a week, ended up swapping everything in the distributor, got new plugs and wires and it fired right up! Has been running strong for a few days now!