D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By IrieHawaii
#317480 so gas prices are getting high AF and i have a DD eg civic sedan lx which has a d15b7 and a cx manual trans, which i was told to have pretty long gear ratios. But i was just wondering if any of you guys have tips on how to save gas.
By gtstripes
#317482 weight reduction (to a degree)
good tyre pressure
dont leadfoot it everywhere
use good fuel
reguarly change oil,air and fuel filters
dont over rev
dont "warm up engine" for 30min its ok to drive when its cold just be gentle
dont have passengers

thats just to name afew :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#317561 leave 10 minutes early so you have plenty of time to get there granny shiftin at 1500rpms :thumb:
By crazy-88
#317568 Gonna have to get rid of that roof rack if u want mpg.
By IrieHawaii
crazy-88 wrote:Gonna have to get rid of that roof rack if u want mpg.

aha actually thats not mines, its my homie's. I just put it on to take a picture LOL
By teal_dx
#317581 The right tires help as well. A stock 185 width touring tire will have less rolling resistance than a performance 205 width tire.
Also for highway aerodynamics, consider making the underside of your car as smooth as possible. Especially the area under the rear bumper as it acts as a parachute. The Civic VX actually came with an OEM rear diffuser to help it achieve better MPG. :thumb:
By 92EG-8
#317592 What gas stations do you guys recommend? And also what octane type?
By dbrooks
#317593 This guy got 118 mpg in a "race" for mpg. Hahahahahahaha

By JohnRM
92EG-8 wrote:What gas stations do you guys recommend? And also what octane type?

I'm not sure how it is in your state, but the fuel in California all come from the same place. The only difference is that every gas station puts in their own additive. 87 octane is what our civics use unless you've done something to the engine. It never hurts to use higher octane though.
By chrono404
#317618 Getting anything beyond 87octane is a waste and can only do harm on a D15b7.

In my Sedan I had a D15b7 and a 96-00 Civic HX Tranny(similar gearing to CX,VX Gearing). It worked okay but was gutless. When I swapped out my d15b7 out for a D16z6 I got a much peppier car, as well as Better MPG's. I got over 50mpg multiple times on the freeway.

In my old 93 Sedan DX I had a D15b7 and a 96-00 Civic HX Tranny, Which has similar gearing to a CX or VX Transmission. It worked and got me decent MPG but was gutless and no fun at all. Once I did a B20 swap to my Delsol, I took out my Stock D16z6 with 191,XXX miles on it and put it into my Sedan. It was so much better. It was much much peppier, it also get better MPG's.

I Left the Stock d15b7 ECU in the car, I also didn't wire up vtec as all this civic did was shuffle me around. With no real changes to driving style I got better MPG's, both in town and on the freeway. On pure Freeway driving I got 50+ MPG.

This is with heavy 16x8" wide rims with somewhat sticky tires on it. Right next to my Eibach lowering springs, and my Acura EL Leather seats the D16z6 was the best mod I ever did to my sedan.

This was all done on Washington State 87 octane fuel, The same as the contential 45state blend(CA,NV and AZ get worse fuel as they want to save the planet)

When i had my sedan I bought fuel at Chevron, Texico or Shell. Currently in my WRX i only buy Chevron or Texico fuel as I get bonus points for using a Chevron gas card. Stay away from Arco, they have a high sulfer content and will ruin fuel injectors.

Highlights for the lazy:
- Got better MPG swapping out my D15b7 for a D16z6, Running on the b7 ECU and no-VTEC.
- Easily in the top 3 best mods I did to my Sedan
- Got 50MPG on pure freeway driving multiple times. Good MPG in-town as well, Dont remember the figure, In the 30's.

Suggestion:
- Swap out to a more powerful and torquey D16z6, It gave me better MPG's.
- If you have not already, Get lowering springs or adjustable coilovers so you can take turns without having to slow down
- Drive calmly, I never drove my Sedan fast as it was pointless, a D16z6 with a HX Tranny wont beat anything, maybe a smart car but that's it. I had a Second car for my crazy driving.
By JacquesB
bigJOE671 wrote:Coast in neutral when going downhill, long straights, or even uphill ;)

All cars these days will shut down fuel completely when you are in gear with your foot of the gas, when in neutral the car uses gas to keep the engine idling.
My Golf that I had was like that, it even stated that in the user manual of the car.
But I still want to find out if EG's do the same????
By kapow
#317871 Check if your pcv valve is working, if it's worn out it will leak oil and fumes into your intake and ruin your air/fuel mixture and cause a lower mpg