D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By GotHatch?
#315544 I'm new to hondas and 4cyl engines in general and was wondering what all can be done to gain performance with the motor still in the car. I currently have a 3" ram air intake and a 4-2-1 header.
By teal_dx
#315557 Intake, header and exhaust are the 3 main things you can do without getting into the motor. There's also intake manifold, throttle body, ignition, but these things are not worth much when it comes to HP per dollar. The best bang for your buck with SOHC motors is forced induction or nitrous. A NA build with bolt-ons isn't cost effective on the SOHC motors if you're looking for big power gains. :thumb:
By GotHatch?
#315565 Well my long term build plan is a p29 piston 12 to 1 compression NA SOHC I don't have to be the fastest but I love SOHCS because everyone swaps them out. What I was thinking about doing if anyone thought it would be wise is as follows

I was thinking about picking up a used head and having it rebuilt with new valves quality springs and retainers and a NA cam. After I got the head finished I was thinking about putting it on on my stock bottom end with the addition of a flashed ECU and maybe a modified intake manifold/throttle body.

Then when I get the rest of the cash of picking up another D16 block on the cheap and building it the way I want then all I have to do is take my built head off the stock bottom end and put it on the built bottom then drop the whole engine in.
By GotHatch?
#315629 This thing pulls fairly hard as is considering it has a CX tranny.

I am thinking about swapping in a SI/EX trans but I'm not sure how I would like that on the interstate or if it would even help that much maybe some input if you have one would be nice lol.
By GotHatch?
#315656 I interstate this car quite frequently ( 1000 mile round trip) every 2-3 months and short interstate bursts inbetween and I just wonder what the SI tranny will do. I know with my current trans I cruise at 75 at like 2400 rpm +/- 100 If my math is right the SI trans would put me at 3400.
By TrailerTrash
#315663 yeah they scream pretty good on the highway... but its really worth it for the added fun on a bun you get ripping around with shorter gears. trust me. i went from a VX to a DX to an EX and ill never go back.
By cruzan
#315664 How would you know if you have a dx, ex or si tranny ?
By GotHatch?
TrailerTrash wrote:yeah they scream pretty good on the highway... but its really worth it for the added fun on a bun you get ripping around with shorter gears. trust me. i went from a VX to a DX to an EX and ill never go back.

Actually will a newer 96-01 hydry trans fit our cars?
By GotHatch?
TrailerTrash wrote:yeah they scream pretty good on the highway... but its really worth it for the added fun on a bun you get ripping around with shorter gears. trust me. i went from a VX to a DX to an EX and ill never go back.

Also what kind of MPG do you get with it on the HWY?
By josh93coupe
#315673 I got 35 mpg on a built NA z6 with a si tranny, turning about 3.5k rpms at 70.

10.5:1 comp , Zex 59300 cam , zex valves , tuned on crome.
By FG2_Andrew
#315674 you are looking for a 92-95 s20 trans. it SHOULD be on the sticker if its even still there. and i believe its stamped on the case.

and yes the d16y7/y8 trans will also bolt up. any d series trans will work.. hydro to cable is the only difference that would determine if a trans won't work.
By GotHatch?
EH2_andy wrote:you are looking for a 92-95 s20 trans. it SHOULD be on the sticker if its even still there. and i believe its stamped on the case.

and yes the d16y7/y8 trans will also bolt up. any d series trans will work.. hydro to cable is the only difference that would determine if a trans won't work.

Alright thanks the only reason I was thinking about using a newer trans is I could get a 96-01 EX trans and kind of be in the middle of the short geared SI trans and the stupid long geared CX trans.

I could basically have 1-4th of the SI tranny with the OD of the CX tranny which would drop my hwy cruise down from 3500 +/- 200 to 3100 or so. It seems like that would be the best trans for what I want to do with the car which is have it be fun but still a hwy driver as well.

92-95 Civic Si/ EX / Del Sol Si
1st 3.25 2nd 1.9 3rd 1.25 4th .909 5th .750 FD 4.25

92-95 Civic CX/VX
1st 3.25 2nd 1.761 3rd 1.066 4th .853 5th .702 FD 3.25

96-01 EX
1st 3.25 2nd 1.909 3rd 1.25 4th .909 5th .702 FD 4.058/4.25 Sedan/Coupe