D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By Diiplomat
#315495 Hi all,

As you can tell i'm new here :woot:

I was on Honda-tech, but I found it next to impossible to get any real answers for someone like me who is relatively new to the Honda scene.

So here are my questions, I appreciate any input!

First, I have a 1993 Civic DX (hatch :thumb: ) with a D15B7 4spd auto :thumbdown:

I am on a limited budget so a 5 speed swap was out of the question...

Anyways, My engine's oil pump failed, and subsequently threw a rod and made swiss cheese of my block.

I am getting a JDM D15B and was wondering:

Will the exhaust manifold marry up to my stock exhaust? or will I have to use my D15B7 header?

Will all my stock engine and trans mounts fit?

Basically I am wondering what, if any modifications I will have to do to get the engine to fit... This is my first swap, I have a pretty good grasp on mechanical things, I am just trying to get a good idea as to what I am up against here.

Thanks for any answers. :D
By TrailerTrash
#315496 to the best of my knowledge, the only thing you will need to change to make the D15B fully functional in your car is the ECU. you will need an automatic P28 to control VTEC and you will either need to get the factory harness from a VTEC car or wire VTEC it yourself. its extremely simple to do :thumb:
By Diiplomat
TrailerTrash wrote:to the best of my knowledge, the only thing you will need to change to make the D15B fully functional in your car is the ECU. you will need an automatic P28 to control VTEC and you will either need to get the factory harness from a VTEC car or wire VTEC it yourself. its extremely simple to do :thumb:

Wow, an actual reply that doesn't consist of some random flame? :hehe: :hehe: Way different than Honda-Tech!!

lol.

Thanks for the quick response.. I planned on running the P08.. thats what I was recommended as its the "original ECU" to that motor?
By FG2_Andrew
#315506 Good luck getting a p08. They seem damn near impossible to find.

I'd just run a p28. If it that big of a deal to you, you can always chip and run a p08 base (which is what I do).
By Diiplomat
EH2_andy wrote:Good luck getting a p08. They seem damn near impossible to find.

I'd just run a p28. If it that big of a deal to you, you can always chip and run a p08 base (which is what I do).

Thanks for the info! :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#315573 i dont think the chip is necessary at all. ive been running a p28 on my D15B for over 40,000 miles without a problem
By Diiplomat
brandoff88 wrote:yeah i would recomend a chipped p28 thats what i run with my d15b and it does the job just fine :thumb:

Can I run any P28? Or is there "automatic" ones and "manual" ones?

Thanks
By FG2_Andrew
#315584 P28 is fine, I just found an ecu chipped for cheap.

And yes match trans
By Diiplomat
EH2_andy wrote:P28 is fine, I just found an ecu chipped for cheap.

And yes match trans

Is there a specific coding that distinguishes between auto and manual? A numerical sequence I should look for or something along those lines?
By 1992HondaCivicHatchDX
EH2_andy wrote:P28 is fine, I just found an ecu chipped for cheap.

And yes match trans

You dont need to match the trans to the ecu... I had the exact same setup as you before. 92 Hatch D15B7 Auto... I swapped to manual and used the same ecu no problem. The only time I changed ECU's is when I swapped in the 95 si motor (D16Z6) because of the Vtec... Auto and manual has no effect on the ecu as long as they are both non-vtec or both vtec.
By FG2_Andrew
#318248 Auto ecu will work with auto and manual cars.
Manual ecu will work with manual trans.