D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By choness2004
#315237 The EJ2 I'm picking up has a D15B7 engine, so I'm trying to find out what modifications I can do to the engine. I'm looking at things like camshafts, throttle body, intake manifold, exhaust manifold/header, air induction.

What else could I do to it and what parts should I use? I've had a look on Google, etc and only really found about putting a D16A6 camshaft in, with a different pully to correct the timing.

Corey.
By kamikaza
#315238 depends on your budget, but something like this, all bolt ons :)
cai
d16y8 or d16z6 intake mani, d16y8 is better
d16a6 camshaft with adjustable cam gear or d167/8 cam gear
4-2-1 header from ebay will be just fine
and 2.5" exhaust

you can also do minime with d16z6 head

that's some of cheapest, easiest and most effective stuff you can do on stock d15b7

and you can rise compresion ratio with thinner head gasket
:)
By choness2004
#315281 Thanks guys :) I'll have a decent budget, I asked on another forum and someone said about using a Skunk2 intake manifold and fitting a AEM fuel rail, don't suppose you know anything about these?
By LionHearted1
Check this thread out.
http://6thgearadvertising.com/civic-eg/ ... fa79013372

It's supposedly the full potential of the b7 with bolt on parts

For as far as I've found, that's pretty much the full potential of a NA D series build.

You can send the A6 cam to Delta for a regrind, but that may affect how much you enjoy driving it as a DD.

Ehhhhhh.... I think that's more of a common misconception.
From all I've gathered, and having Transzex reinforce this for me is the z6 manifold is better for the OBD1 heads, and the Y8 is better for OBD2.
The b7 and z6 heads have more in common as far as air flow goes and Transzex actually replaced his Y8 one with a Z6 mani. (The install is a bit easier too.)

The z6 mani also gives more power in the low and mid range part of the powerband, with the Y8 youre actually sacrificing some of the low end, and getting more on the top end. (Just what I've read from other people)

That having been said, either the z6 or the y8 is better than the b7. By a long shot. So if you've already picked up a Y8 mani, I wouldnt fret and just use it.

Thanks guys I'll have a decent budget, I asked on another forum and someone said about using a Skunk2 intake manifold and fitting a AEM fuel rail, don't suppose you know anything about these?

A Skunk2 intake mani will run you about... $280?
I picked up my Z6 one for $35, 8 cans of BrakeClean and a little bit of black high temp paint later I had something that looked just as cool and was nearly as functional. While I'd certainly perfer the Skunk2, it wasn't in the budget, and I'm a fan of the OEM parts anyways.

As far as an AEM fuel rail... I really don't think this motor is going to put down enough power to really need it. Your OEM one should be fine.
By kamikaza
#315287 also you can do some tranny mods...put shorter gears from d16a8/9 (second, third, fotrh). also you can get bigger final drive, and lighter flywheel.
By LionHearted1
also you can do some tranny mods...put shorter gears from d16a8/9 (second, third, fotrh). also you can get bigger final drive, and lighter flywheel.

Yeah, I was going to add more about that last night.

You can add intakes, manifolds, exhausts, iridium plugs and all that jazz to the car, and yes, you'll feel an increase in power, but the transmission is where things get noticeable.

Change the gears out, or if you have an autotragic, swap a Z6 or Y8 trans in.

OR, if you're interested.
I was reading a forum about a kid that sent his automatic trans to JMO Performance. They rebuild it with a high stall torque converter.

It basically shifted at the same time you would shift a 5speed, but it's a computer doing the shifting, instead of you physically doing it.

Here's the link to his build http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=213195

Honda Tuning also wrote an article about JMO. They seem legit.
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... z1osDveSaE

An intelligently built b7 should easily keep pace with a B18.
By jhicks
LionHearted1 wrote:
Check this thread out.
http://6thgearadvertising.com/civic-eg/ ... fa79013372

It's supposedly the full potential of the b7 with bolt on parts

For as far as I've found, that's pretty much the full potential of a NA D series build.

You can send the A6 cam to Delta for a regrind, but that may affect how much you enjoy driving it as a DD.

Ehhhhhh.... I think that's more of a common misconception.
From all I've gathered, and having Transzex reinforce this for me is the z6 manifold is better for the OBD1 heads, and the Y8 is better for OBD2.
The b7 and z6 heads have more in common as far as air flow goes and Transzex actually replaced his Y8 one with a Z6 mani. (The install is a bit easier too.)

The z6 mani also gives more power in the low and mid range part of the powerband, with the Y8 youre actually sacrificing some of the low end, and getting more on the top end. (Just what I've read from other people)

That having been said, either the z6 or the y8 is better than the b7. By a long shot. So if you've already picked up a Y8 mani, I wouldnt fret and just use it.

Thanks guys I'll have a decent budget, I asked on another forum and someone said about using a Skunk2 intake manifold and fitting a AEM fuel rail, don't suppose you know anything about these?

A Skunk2 intake mani will run you about... $280?
I picked up my Z6 one for $35, 8 cans of BrakeClean and a little bit of black high temp paint later I had something that looked just as cool and was nearly as functional. While I'd certainly perfer the Skunk2, it wasn't in the budget, and I'm a fan of the OEM parts anyways.

As far as an AEM fuel rail... I really don't think this motor is going to put down enough power to really need it. Your OEM one should be fine.

i bought an acura/honda performance book written by some professional japanese guy. i cant recall the name right off the top of my head, but according to him the z6 head is better, due to the fact that it has a higher flow rate and is less prone to failure. but im not a professional, so dont take my word for it lol.
By FG2_Andrew
#316594 Mani swaps run into "issues" with flow because unless you have matching, larger ports, you're not really gaining anything at all. The larger ports from the mani only allow more air to the inlet but that air is simply hitting the head.

As far as bolt one go. An exhaust and intake are the most practical. If you wanna get more in depth, do a mini me swap.
By teal_dx

Actually I believe it is the opposite... y8 flows better mid range and z6 had better top end. Buy like you said, either is better than a b7 IM. :thumb: