D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By MyNamesMatt
#314450 Hi everyone, i'm new here because I just bought a EH2 that had been sitting for a while.

I changed the oil, spark plugs, and did a compression test. Compression is good but wouldn't start so I changed the main relay and it started but squeeled and smoke came up from what looked like the Timing Belt. Is this a common issue and is the timing belt what needs to be replaced? I tried driving it a few feet and drove OK and moved but squeeled loudly and smoked quite a bit. Any input?

Thanks guys,

Matt.
By teal_dx
#314454 Are you sure it was the timing belt and not the accessory belt? The timing belt is under the plastic cover and if it was slipping, your pistons would be smashing your valves.

I'd replace the accessory belts and make sure they're tight - should be good then. :thumb:
By MyNamesMatt
#314459 I think you may be correct! Is the accessory belt also called a "Serpentine Belt"? Pretty new to working on engines and such so I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks again for your help Sir!

- Matt
By MyNamesMatt
#314460 Also, I heard that spraying WD-40 on the belt should help stop the squealing if it is indeed just the belt. If it doesn't stop squealing I read that it could be the Tensioner, Water Pump, Air Compressor or Alternator. Would this be true? Thanks again,

- Matt
By FG2_Andrew
#314465 you can spray WD-40 to help pinpoint where the noise is coming from, but don't use it as a for sure fix.
By MyNamesMatt
#314468 Sounds good. I figured that would help pinpoint but I'm going to replace it as soon as possible. How difficult would you say it is to replace and also is the "Accessory Belt" also referred to as the "Serpentine Belt"? I know teal would know the answer but just in case he doesn't get a chance to reply.

Thanks,

Matt
By teal_dx
#314483 A serpentine belt is one very long belt that runs everything including the water pump. On Honda motors, the water pump and cam are run by a cog belt (with teeth) by a gear on the outside of the crank - aka the timing belt. That's behind the plastic cover. Then there's a ribbed pulley outside of the cover aka the crank pulley. It has individual belts on it to run the AC, Alt, Power steering. It's possible that the alternator is seized from sitting, causing that belt to squeal & smoke. Or the belts could be old & dry rotted, or too loose.
I never tried the WD40. I would think that would make it grip less since it's a lubricant.
By FG2_Andrew
#314486 Used wd40 on the girls dad corolla. Stopped the squeeking but like I said USE A SMALL AMOUNT, DO NOT SOAK THE BELT.
By MyNamesMatt
#314487 Ok great thanks for the explanation guys. So for the belt that is smoking that is visible, just to the right side of the engine would be which part to order? I understand what you been by your explanations but don't know what the exact parts are to order/look for. Sorry for being so noob but I'm googling and trying to understand your explanations without sounding like an idiot.

- Matt
By juls1488
#314492 I actually had a similar issue an ek i had sitting for over a year. ended being the alternator belt that was smoking. also had a frozen alternator, so check to make sure your alt is good.

silicone belt dressing also works well for getting rid of squeals. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#314520 First figure out which belt it is. There is an alternator belt and if your car has power steering, that will also have a belt and if it has AC that will also have a belt. I'm betting alternator though :wink:
By MyNamesMatt
#314720 I would just like to start by saying, thank you EVERYONE who posted on here. It wasn't actually the alternator belt, the alternator was seized so I had to get a replacement one. $60 later I have a lightly used alternator and belt which resulted in a perfectly good running D15B7. Thanks so much guys appreciate it! Time for GSR brake swap and bolt-ons :D :woot:
By juls1488
MyNamesMatt wrote:I would just like to start by saying, thank you EVERYONE who posted on here. It wasn't actually the alternator belt, the alternator was seized so I had to get a replacement one. $60 later I have a lightly used alternator and belt which resulted in a perfectly good running D15B7. Thanks so much guys appreciate it! Time for GSR brake swap and bolt-ons :D :woot:

awesome! glad we could help. :thumb: