D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By TrailerTrash
#314250 okay so when i got my car it already had the D15b swapped into it. the evap purge solenoid from the old motor was plugged in and had a line running to the charcoal canister but the thing was just ziptied to the firewall. no big deal i guess i googled it and read all about people drilling/tapping their d15b intake manny to run the solenoid/not running the solenoid at all/swapping intake mannys blah blah blah so i just left it alone. never had a problem with it and that was 40,000 miles ago.

so today i started the car and popped the hood and just happend to glance in that area and saw it hanging there so i figured i would ziptie it out of site somewhere. grabbed ahoild of it to cut the ziptie and the thing was hot.. like hot hot almost unbearable to touch. :? so i unhooked it and plugged the hose to the canister didnt get a CEL or anything.

im really not sure what EXACTLY this thing is supposed to do... but im pretty ssure its not supposed to get super hot like that after roughly 1 minute of the engine running. the car was completely cold too. i could still touch the header which was just warm and this thing was roasting.

anybody have some answers? i just googled it again and read about 20 different threads but i couldnt find nothing like this :?

and just to be clear, here is a pic of my solenoid i just took off
By suspendedHatch
#314836 Does it get hot when it's unplugged (but still mounted)?

Why not hook it up properly? Helps start up easier and can save you about 3 mpg if you make a lot of short trips.
By TrailerTrash
#314842 no it doesnt get hot when its unplugged.

ive had it off for over a week now and it hasnt made the slightest difference. no codes, loss in mpg, doesnt make it run any better or any worse. i was going to pick one up from the junkyard this weekend but the place is closed till tuesday for the holiday so itll have to wait till next weekend.
By d-mon
#314956 obd1 ecus don't care about evap purge solenoid.
i haven't had one for years.
By suspendedHatch
d-mon wrote:obd1 ecus don't care about evap purge solenoid.
i haven't had one for years.

Yes they do. Are you from the US? Even OBD0 has them.