D15, D16, D17 and Mini-Me swaps
By dejal3lue
#314234 hey guys, im doing a semi rebuild so id figure id share the progress on how things are going. hopefully help some people out and vice versa. so here is my story hope u like it. its 5am and if i dont make sense sry im a lil tired

BACKGROUND

so i bought my first civic on june 22, 2011. happiest day of my life. all my friends drove them and was fascinated how easy it was to work on them and of course how FAST they are. lol. so i bought a 95 civic ex. the guy i bought it from did a auto to many swap and put a d16z6 in it. had bout 145K ish miles on it i think. he sold it to me with a p06 ecu so i never hit vtec :cry: . a year later i thought it was finally time to get a p28 lol. i know im a horrible car owner. b4 i put the p28 ecu i had noticed a small oil leak on my vtec solenoid gasket or so i think it is but not 100% sure. any who i always checked my oil at least once a week, and had to add very lil oil bout once a month. so a week b4 my bday id figure i treat myself with vtec. lol. i bought a p28, hooked it up, and had sum fun. :hehe:

WTF!!!

VTEC!!!!!!!!! KICKED IN!!! idk what was i thinking not doing this in the beginning. plz dont yell at me. so of course i checked my oil and looked good when i installed the new ecu. i drove the car for a couple days and then the nightmare began. as i was driving normally to a friend i noticed a weird sound coming from my car. at first i thought nothing until i got to a stop. it sounded like a knocking sound. "there is no way, it cant be" i say to myself, it has to be my fog light wire hitting my fan or sumthing. it can be from the engine it just cant be. so i reach to my friends place 5 min later i pop open the hood see nothing dangling or lose and immediately noticed it was coming from the block. i turned the car off rite away. checked the oil and was dry as a bone. :x oh by the way it was bday. so double !!@!#&*!! i filled it with oil right away and let it sit for a bit till i started it again. and there it was that same @!#$% noise. it was rod knock

THE PLAN

i had no idea what to do, where to start, so for days and weeks i was glued to the internet hrs and hrs and hrs a day. reading and reading what to do. now i dont have alot of experience as a mechanic but i did take a few automotive classes at my local community college, in which i didnt finish lol. i knew my way around cars and how they worked, in my head. but never really did any major repairs to them. so my first choice was to just take it to a shop and have them do everything. but i didnt have the money. so that wasnt going to happen. then i asked friends on there opinion and most of them said just do it on your own. iv always wanted to rebuild an engine and learn everything i can bout it, but id always picture having a spare engine i can practice on, not one i needed. so i was a lil scared to touch my motor until i looked at forums and took my time to read them especially on this website. :thumb:. then i realized its not that hard at all and especially when u have friends that know what there doin and had done it b4 id figure why not.

THE WORKS

so after days and weeks on deciding how i was going to overtake this task, i finally took action. i wanted to do a full rebuild but i was trying to save sum money and also go the faster route. for i have no other car nor bicycle. lol. i looked on Craigslist and found many motors for sale and cheap. i found a guy selling a d16y7, so figured id pick it up and put my d16z6 head on it since the Y7 does not have vtec. i needs my vtec. lol. i bought the motor couple days ago and went shopping yesterday, pretty much im doin a motor rebuild without the machining the motor or head. i bought oil pan, intake, valve cover, head, and thermostat gaskets. new thermostat, spark plugs and wires, oil filter, brake pads, axles, fuel filter, and misc sprays and tools i needed.

sry for the crapy photos, had to use my phone cam till i can get my regular cam bak.

yesterday nite our plan was to at least get the engine out from under the car. i also want to do a small wire tuck and and paint the engine bay. i cant stand nasty dirty engines and engine bays.

$300 in supplies

Before

The Progress

The new motor

with the head off

my z6 head

i will post more pics tonite hopefully will get it running by sunday. im really tired and falling asleep. thank you